Sunday 24 April 2011

Dream: the consultants nursing home

In this dream I'm standing inside a nursing home, which looks just like the Corella ward (a ward in Darwin Private Hospital which the public hospital has taken over while renovating ward 4B). I'm standing in the little alcove at the end of the corridor near Bed 18, next to the couches that are usually there.

Suddenly I can distinctly hear the voice of a consultant coming from one of the rooms. I peek inside the nearest room and it's actually the activities room, full of toothless oldies (somehow none of them had their dentures!) giggling and poking at each other. A diversional therapist is trying to get them to dance, but they are all sitting down in wheelchairs which aren't locked so when they try to move they slide around on their wheels.

I realise with a start that all the oldies are consultants from the hospital, and in the dream I'm very afraid. I go to the kitchen where the usual stainless steel fridge has been replaced with a big white fridge. I see a bag of vegetables and think "I'll just put them in the fridge so the oldies can have lunch later".

I open the fridge which makes rather loud whirring noises, and attempt to put the vegetables in the crisper section at the bottom of the fridge. It's odd as the left drawer is about 1/4 the size of the right drawer, such that there is a tiny little one on the left and a huge one on the right. They are dark green in colour and there's a lot of water at the bottom of them, so I try to scoop out the water as I'm putting the vegetables in.

Just as I'm putting a bunch of bok choy in, my ex med student Maggy comes in with a plate of salmon patties and says "have one! they are really delicious!"

Then I wake up.

No comments:

Post a Comment