Sunday 14 September 2014

Food highlights from peri exams

The last month has been just a gluttony of food for me. I think it's because my body and mind are going through such a gruelling ordeal, I feel the need for indulgence. The weeks leading up to the exam saw me walking the paths from my place to the harbour foreshore back and forth, usually clutching a coffee from 2 Birds in Annandale (the brightest, airiest, friendliest place to get coffee in Annandale) and a pocketful of flashcards. I would recite the contents of the cards while watching the happy dogs and fending funny looks from passerbys - I'm pretty sure those mothers pushed their prams away from me faster as I muttered and gestured to myself.

Catching up with friends has kept me sane too. One welcome surprise was the rediscovery of the Runcible Spoon which has some pretty good vegetarian options. Admittedly the service can be grumpy, and sitting outside when it's miserable and wintery is not the best, but I just adore this dish.



Wholesome fleshy field mushrooms sizzled in butter and herbs rest on a bed of lentils, topped with fried eggs, a dollop of labneh and deep fried crispy sage leaves. The flavours are simply wonderful together. I could eat it every week and never get sick of it.


Another dish from the Spoon. Black beans with pickles, chilli sauce, poached eggs and chilli corn bread. The black beans are pureed which is a bit odd, but lots of textures come from the pickles and warm runny eggs. The corn bread is quite interesting - crispy on the outside and crumbly on the inside, perfect for mopping it all up.

I am thankful that I have some good eating options within walking distance. I love In the Annex - the Umami coffee is smooth, the food is inventive with lots of vegetarian options, and recently they started stocking cronuts. What's not to love?


Pretty as a picture. Winter vegetable salad on a bed of lentils. 

Baked eggs with goats cheese, spicy soft chickpeas, chunks of sourdough and herbs. Words cannot describe how delicious this is.

Cronuts at the Annex - somehow nicer than at Brewtown because they are nicely presented and no grumpy waiters are around.

Dad's friend visited and we made these vegetarian siu mai with sticky rice, mushroom & carrot filling. Making the skins and wrapping them was super fun! They were tasty but boy they do look a bit ugly.


Three Williams is awesome but they have stopped serving narnies for breakfast which is sad. We each ate our own savoury dish then shared this decadent brioche french toast, the sweetness offset by a pool of natural yoghurt, fresh berries and crunchy caramelised pecans. It was as droolworthy as the photo.


I'm sure Rising Sunworkshop in Newtown isn't really a pop-up because they are still there, a few months after they were meant to close down! They keep changing their Monk ramen which is nice. This time around it had corn, kimchi paste and lots of fresh shallot. I miss the miso eggplant though.



 Oreo pie from the Pie Tin.


Circa is amazingly hipster, it doesn't feel like Parramatta at all. The whole menu is interesting and it was hard to pick but I'm glad I chose this dish of lemon & thyme baked ricotta, zaatar-coated egg, mushrooms and kale on a spicy eggplant puree base. The bunch of grilled cherry tomatoes was so adorable and sweet.

Now, is it any wonder I can't fit into my suit? 

No comments:

Post a Comment