Tuesday 5 May 2020

In My Kitchen: May 2020

After the initial spike of cases, I have been so grateful that it has really slowed down in the last few weeks. Paradoxically it has been a wonderful time for me to rest and restore energies - I am by nature an introvert and I love solitary activities like reading, baking and playing the violin.

I have killed many, many plants over the years, including even cacti that "cannot be killed". Covid-19 has led me to discover the joys of digging in the garden. I feel like it's a jinx to share any pictures or they will stop growing, but maybe just a little one...


Hello Mr Pea! I am watching all the Mr Peas everyday.


My dad's purple garden weed has taken over this pot. A grasshopper ate 90% of the leaves a few weeks ago, but it's amazing that they have grown back.

Onto the sourdough adventures.. I am a long time sourdough baker (Barney will be 3 very soon) and the flour crisis has been awful. For 6 weeks or so the shelves were totally bare, but I was so chuffed to receive donations of flour from friends and work colleagues.


This batch of apple cinnamon hot cross buns was made with flour donated by Lauren and glazed with Canadian maple syrup that Em had brought from Canadia just before Covid. Soft and scrumptious! I forgot to cross some of the buns and my love hearts melted! 


A couple of handsome loaves for friends, one of them was for my dear friend B!


Sourdough banana bread is so delicious I can't believe I'd never tried it


Sourdough English muffins are my new favourite - dusted with a bit of semolina, they are just perfectly soft inside and toast up really well the next day.



There's something about a repetitive lunch. I ate this for a whole week in a row - my own sourdough with smashed avo, a drizzle of Hunter valley EVOO and a smattering of seeds, along with a cob of local organic corn and a little bit of cheese.



There's also something about the ritual of baking day, where I take Barney out and feed him. The discard always goes into pancakes for the morning - here I made it with the last little bit of buckwheat flour we bought in Hungary last year from a market. I ate this with toasted coconut, tahini and a drizzle of maple syrup.


An exceptionally beautiful rye loaf, one sunny afternoon.

With more time on my hands than usual, I tried making Chinese style thick noodles again - so delicious!

 
It is simply a flour and water dough with a few hours of rest, kneaded intermittently, and cut into ribbons.

Finally, the Food and Music series has been on a pause whilst we were in lockdown, but after NSW lifting its restrictions last Friday we decided to have an impromptu gathering to celebrate the 2nd anniversary of my string quartet (though the violist couldn't make it, so we were 3). We have been together through so many ups and downs, and it was a true celebration of friendship, delicious food and music.



As our anniversary date is actually on Anzac day, we have a Turkish theme and I made these spinach, mushroom and cheese pides.


We pretty much always have a feast but this one was really spectacular with a slow cooked spicy lamb, the pides, zucchini flowers stuffed with haloumi, dolmades and salad. We had an amazing musical rendezvous also with Shostakovich's 5 pieces for 2 violins and piano, a few Bach trio sonatas, Beethoven String trio Op. 3 and Schubert's Piano trio in E flat.

I'm sending this to Sherry who hosts the In My Kitchen series - how wonderful to participate in this tradition, thanks for hosting Sherry!

16 comments:

  1. thanks for joining IMK this month. lovely to see how so many people have been baking and cooking, and sharing food with friends and neighbours. seems to have been lots of sourdough baking going on too. Keep well, and see you next month, hopefully.
    cheers
    sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting Sherry , I love reviewing my food piccies for IMK! It is indeed a wonderful time for community and connection

      Delete
  2. It’s wonderful to hear that the pandemic is waning somewhere. We were prepared for a more devastating situation than what really has happened so far, but it isn’t really getting better. Pressure from anti-science protestors might result in a worse increase in cases. You seem to live in such a rational country. As always, I would love to hear your music.

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mae, the situation in the US is very concerning indeed. Stay safe and keep well x

      Delete
  3. It is indeed a time for carbs, comfort food. Watch out for sparrows with the pea shoots, they love the tender new growth. Everything looks glorious, congratulations on getting through the last few weeks. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that stay safe as stay sane, guess we need both! I've been watching out for anything attacking my plants, but I guess they have to eat as well..

      Delete
  4. your bread looks amazing! I have never tried sourdough banana bread either - time to remedy that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bass it on the recipe from clever carrot but with way less sugar, it worked out really well nice and fluffy, give it a go!

      Delete
  5. Your baking is inspiring, love your beautiful loaves of bread and muffins. The flour is very hard to come by in north Florida where I am. I've seen AP flour and not much of that but forget bread flour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina, flour has been pretty short here as well and most of my baking has been with AP flour as I couldn't find any bread flour. I find just a touch less hydration and it works pretty well! Stay safe

      Delete
  6. Wonderful food you've posted. I need to take more pics. That purple garden weed of your dad's looks a lot like a Vietnamese cilantro I've got going. And, would love a sourdough hot cross buns recipe. I use my sourdough mostly for bread and pizza, well the discard for pancakes and waffles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Claudia. I used the sourdough hot cross bun recipe from fig jam and lime cordial. I've made it the past few years and it works really well! Give it a go next time

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for coming by that it would be rude of me not to repay the compliment, I am so glad i did - as i cannot stop oggling all the good bakes that you have made, the Pide looks esp. good. I have been meaning to make them for years, but never get round to it. Its good to be growing too, i found myself enjoying weeding yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh there is something about kneading dough especially in these tough times! Take care

      Delete
  8. What great baking! I recently got my sourdough going again. I need some breakfasts breads for the weekend so you've inspired me to make sourdough banana bread! Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debra, good luck with your sourdough banana bread! I'm sure it will be delicious

      Delete