Sunday 4 April 2021

In my kitchen: April 2021

Is it true that every month of your life goes faster because you are getting closer to the end? Certainly feels like it at the moment! I had quite a bit of time off work in March, did lots of writing and drawing, and also did the sugar project...

In my garden...

My pumpkin Alfonso grew to a very healthy size. His leaves died off and when I snipped them away, a whole set of green leaves grew again. Then in the massive NSW storms, his stalk rotted off and I had to harvest him. He weighed in at a very healthy 4.187kg!

The radishes are growing really well and their leaves have been less bitter than previous batches. 

The purple shiso has been excellent this year, and I'm quite addicted to drinking it as tea. I took some to my friend's place and he has the most adorable tea sets. I think this single shiso leaf in a pot is quite pretty...


On the baking front...

Another month, another Jewish vegan baking project. This time it was hamantaschen for the festival Purim, where the pockets symbolise the defeated enemies of the Jewish people. These were gluten free, the pastry made with rice flour and the stuffing a paste made of date and poppy. Crumbly and delicious!  

I made a blue cheese and walnut loaf for my friend, and the smell of this baking was incredible! 

My friend L gave me Modern Sourdough - Sweet and savoury recipes from Margot bakery for Christmas and I'm planning to bake my way through the book. The method is slightly different to my usual one with a long pre-ferment and different mixing method, but the results are similar. 

I love these simple but gorgeous puff pastry rose tarts, filled with plums this time

Sourdough donuts! Who knew that they would puff up so good? We made quite a few different shapes, but my absolute favourite were these kangaroo ones made with a kangaroo cookie cutter I bought during Covid (I planned to send kangaroo cookies to my friends in Canada... but still haven't done it!) 


Onto the Food and Music series....

I made wonton noodle soup one night for my string quartet, accompanied by Beethoven's Op 18, No.1. We are going through a strange patch at the moment with everyone's availability not quite lining up, and eating late means that we don't even get to play very much... 

Continuing with the beautiful plating of salads theme, my string quartet had chicken stew one night and I made this spinach, rocket, pear and pomegranate salad. I adore the splash of red that the pomegranate juice brings to the dish. After dinner we played Beethoven's Op 18, No. 2, for no reason other than S was also playing this in Paris! 

We made this cherry clafoutis one night when my friend L was visiting Newcastle. She is the most incredible pianist, such a talented and expressive musician. Together we played Bach's A minor violin concerto, a very longstanding dream of mine, and Mozart's G major violin concerto. 

And here is my curve ball, a stick insect that I found on my front door one day!

Thanks for coming for a whirl around my kitchen this month, I'm sending this to Sherry who hosts the monthly In My Kitchen series - thanks Sherry! 

10 comments:

  1. Kangaroo meringues are mentioned in a poem. Now you are closer to the real thing. I'm sure you know the poem by Ogden Nash because it's also musical, as part of The Carnival of the Animals.

    Quote:
    "The kangaroo can jump incredible.
    He has to jump, because he's edible.
    I could not eat a kangaroo,
    But many fine Australians do.
    Those with cookbooks as well as boomerangs
    Prefer him in tasty kangaroo meringues."

    be safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kangaroo poem Mae, it's so adorable! I shared it with my friend whose daughter I made the doughnuts with, she'll be old enough to chuckle along soon :)

      Delete
  2. The puff pastry with plum has my undivided attention! Cherry clafoutis looks amazing too. There’s my sweet tooth talking.

    I love the idea of sitting in on one of your sessions to listen to beautiful music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina for your kind words, we are amateurs but we adore music! That puff pastry rose tart is like the easiest thing ever but impressive when you bring it out :)

      Delete
  3. oh that stick insect is so cute. i think they are marvellous creatures. Love the sound of your blue cheese and walnut sourdough loaf, and the kangaroo doughnuts are so adorable. your rose tarts look the bomb. hope your easter was wonderful. thanks for joining in IMK.
    cheers
    sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry for hosting, I enjoy the opportunity to review my food photos so much! That blue cheese walnut bread is really the best flavour combo

      Delete
  4. So much great food! Sourdough donuts? I had no idea. Must research that. That blue cheese/walnut loaf is calling me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra, I find most things can be made sourdough if you have time to wait for it to rise! Just minor adjustments to flour /water ratios needed

      Delete
  5. The blue cheese and walnut bread sounds delicious, it could definitely be a meal for me with a glass of wine. I've been unable to get shiso going in my garden. I've tried twice and will try again this year before giving up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have a nice light dinner of it! Shiso grew like an absolute weed this year, next year I have to try and contain it.. is it related to the temperature there? Seems to be a summer thing here

      Delete