Monday 5 July 2021

In My Kitchen: July 2021

June was just a terrible month - S' father was diagnosed with a terminal illness, we got more travel exemption rejections and rode the waves of hopelessness.. 

Thankfully I had already started doing The Apple Project, where I bake something different featuring apple every week. So let's go first to the apples this month... 

Vegan apple upside-down cake, served with a splosh of maple syrup that I brought back from Toronto (flashback to the days we could travel!) 


How can one go past apple pie? Latticing a pie crust is one of my favourite activities of all time


Apple cinnamon sourdough scroll 


Classic Australian apple shortbread slice thanks to Not Quite Nigella's recipe 

Non Apple things in my kitchen...


I'm loving Asian style breads at the moment - sometimes you just want something soft and pull-apartable. This bread I made with a tangzhong milk sourdough - split into a plain milk dough, stuffed with salted coconut; and a matcha dough, stuffed with red beans. They were pillowy and fluffy, just a dream texture! 


My mahjong group hosted an elaborate Hainanese chicken rice dinner - I think every Malaysian doctor in Newcastle was at this party! The rice cooked in chicken fat was a real treat. 

I got these gorgeous lemons from a friend's tree... 


When life gives you lemons, make a lemon tart. Making the lemon curd was unbelievable, I could just eat that stuff by the spoonful. I took it to work, melted the dark chocolate in the microwave for 30 seconds and scooped it into a 20mL syringe (sterile of course) - amazingly easy to drizzle! I guess you gotta use the tools that you have...


This was probably the most pretty thing I baked this month, a sourdough focaccia. I posted some of my sourdough starter Barney to S' mother in Italy, and she has been baking with him for the last 7 months. This was a focaccia that we made in tandem and in solidarity. 

Onto the Food and Music series... 


These soft garlic scrolls were served up with goulash soup and a few Mozart violin sonatas. With my piano duet friend, we've moved onto the Mozart project - last year we did the Beethoven project where we played all of his violin sonatas. 


And with my string quartet group, we had goat tagine with couscous, the slow cooking infusing delicious spices throughout the tagine. It's a quartet favourite for a reason! We played Mozart's Divertimento for string trio in E flat, and a bit of the Mendelssohn D minor piano trio. Sadly my hands are not in great shape at the moment and I can barely manage on the piano. 

And the curveball...

I finally got Murakami's new book, a collection of short stories. Murakami is probably the "thing" that I  have been obsessed with for the longest time - I started reading his works in high school and haven't stopped for two decades! I can't wait to read this one. 

I'm sending this to Sherry of Sherry's Pickings - as always, thanks for hosting Sherry!

12 comments:

  1. So sorry for your recent news. I'm sending good thoughts your way. Hope things improve soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debra for your kindness and thoughts, much appreciated. You are right there is always hope for the future regardless of what is happening in the world!

      Delete
  2. Everything. That is what I would eat from your presentation here. It all looks wonderful and I thinkmI will have to try a few of the apple dishes.

    I am SO very sorry about the father's diagnosis. That comletely sucks. Sending good thoughts and hugs to you from across the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina for your thoughts and hugs! It is interesting how the IMK communiy comes together to look at our food every month :)

      Delete
  3. I wish you and all your country good luck getting over the pandemic, but the trigger for new lockdowns and travel bans is so delicate, I don’t see how it will work. I also wish good luck to the sick person in your life.

    As for the beauty contest among your gorgeous dishes: I find one more amazing-looking than the next! Also scrumptious.

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mae, the situation in Australia is pretty unique indeed - we avoided the mass outbreak and deaths, but we are left in a fragile hyper-anxious and paranoid state. The Australian public reacting to single-digit cases is similar to the rest of the world reacting to thousands or more. It is very interesting to see what will happen next. Thanks for dropping by, I tried to comment on your blog few times but it will not let me due to my Google settings! sorry about that :)

      Delete
  4. so many great things here Nancy. that lemon tart and that focaccia! they look so delicious. Sorry about the person's illness; so hard to bear isn't it? Oh yes your latticing is so well done. I never have the patience for it so get hubby to do it for me. Have a great month and see you for next IMK.
    cheers
    sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry for hosting! You have been doing such a great job of it every month, and it sure has been one of my month's highlights during the pandemic :)

      Delete
    2. that's lovely to hear. thanks!

      Delete
  5. my heart breaks for you that you cannot travel! And baking together - even if distanced - is so special. And what a beautiful looking focaccia indeed. But, I would rather try that apple cinnamon sourdough scroll :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry Nancy, what a terrible thing to have during an already awful time. BIG HUGS.

    Your apple project and soft bread baking must be such needed distractions. Thank you for making my apple slice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very late but so admiring of all your baking and meals - love a lattice pie crust and a fancy focaccia. Sorry to hear you haven't had travel exemptions - it is so hard to be kept apart when we know how easy it would be to get on a plane if only the government would have some compassion. I am excited to see you using tangzhong with sourdough - it is something I would love to try one day

    ReplyDelete