Wednesday 4 August 2021

In My Kitchen: August 2021

Oh July. Sydney was in lockdown for all of July, and as a result I was separated from my dad, my friends and my string quartet. It has made me so grateful for my Newcastle friends, for the nice weather and the fact that we are still able to go to the beach in the middle of winter. 

I haven't done heaps of cooking and baking this month, but I did stick to The Apple Project, where I bake something with apple every week... 


This was a French-style sweet shortcrust with a frangipane filling and drizzled with salted caramel (I did not know I love salted caramel, but I know now!) 


An apple, caramelised onion and gruyere stromboli. Kind of like a pizza dough. I added beetroot puree to the dough and it was pink while I was forming the pastry, but it completely baked out to a neutral colour!


Bavarian apple torte from Hetty McKinnon's book Community. Most of my friends know I'm doing my apple project now, and one of them sent me the recipe. It has a cream cheese filling that sets like a custard. Delicious! 


This was my birthday cake this year. I was feeling quite sad and looking for a one bowl recipe. The crust was kind of cookie like but the inside was luscious. My birthday ended up being better than I thought - I shared the cake with my work friends and had an early mark to go to the beach. 


Other things in my kitchen...


I tried out a 50% rye recipe just to do some pretty scoring. A higher rye percentage makes the dough quite firm and easier to score, I think it worked out pretty well! 


I've been kind of obsessed with beetroot puree and here I made them into Chinese style dumplings. The colour stayed pink after cooking! 


The first baguettes of this winter. 


My friend visited me just before lockdown and brought me these little single-serve wines, from a winery on the mid north coast. I used some of it in making a mushroom risotto (the ultimate winter comfort food for me) and drank the rest with my dinner. 


Onto the Food and Music series... 


This was an apple strudel (also part of the apple project) I made for a dinner with my piano duet friend. We had a traditional German dinner with sauerbraten, braised red cabbage, dumplings, some of my sourdough and finished it off with strudel. After strudel we played Mozart's D major violin concerto and then the Glinka viola sonata (played on the violin, because my viola is in lockdown in Sydney). I haven't been playing much music these days, mostly preferring to drink tea and write... but I am getting back to it!

And the curveball for this month.. 


An amazing bouquet of flowers I received for my birthday from S. I haven't written much about it, but the long and the short of it is - I met S on a music trip to Paris in October 2019 where we played music together. He is an ex professional violinist turned mathematics professor. We made plans to meet up again in early 2020, but a curveball called Covid was thrown our way and we have been in limbo since. Our romance has been both tumultuous and extraordinary. I am not sure how many times in my professional career I have said to patients and families that we can only "take it one day at a time". I am learning the difficulties of this every day, yet somehow the sun still manages to rise and set anyway. 

Thanks for visiting my kitchen this month, and thanks to Sherry for hosting the In My Kitchen series. I really relish the opportunity to revisit my food photos!

16 comments:

  1. wow how lovely to get flowers from your friend S. Exciting too. thanks for joining in IMK this month. always nice to have you:) so much wonderful baking you have been up to. love the look of that apple torte. I've heard of hetty's book. i think it is a good one? take care. i think brissie lockdown will continue... as will sydney's ... covid life is a funny one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Sherry, it's so nice to have something to look forward to each month to review food photos. take care in lockdown

      Delete
  2. I am afraid we all may be headed for lockdowns, but probably not in the US because we are just backwards. Sorry to vent. It's definitely not over anywhere. On a happier note, love the apple offerings but the savory ones (like that stromboli) sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra, the apple project is really fun! I think I will try to do some more savoury things this month.. any suggestions?

      Delete
  3. Baking with apples sounds great, a wonderful project, and your selections are beautiful. Good luck with all the lockdowns. We don’t have lockdowns, just outbreaks with crowded hospitals and other bad things. I know a family with three fully vaccinated covid patients, one hospitalized. It’s getting worse. So I wish you luck.

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mae indeed the situation is changing all around the world and it is very concerning.. take care and stay safe

      Delete
  4. Belated birthday blessings! Mine was also in July but thankfully I could spend it with friends and family. I am sure you are longing for a trip to France! I would not call that pretty scoring - it is awesome. I cannot get mine to look anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Tandy and belated happy birthday to you! There is something about birthdays that makes one feel more sad about lockdown, let's hope that next year our birthdays will be in a much nicer version of the world..

      Delete
  5. Ohh no, lockdown again?! stay safe...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm hoping ths lockdown doesn't drive us all completely mad. I'm in north Florida in the US so...hold my beer! It's crazy here the way officials seem to be acting contrary to our interests. I am vaccinated and stay home quite a bit. Ugh.

    Loving what you have in your kitchen this month! Wish we could all join in on a real party and bring our offerings. It would be good to share that kind of friendship and food.

    Stay safe, love your blog and happy belated birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Tina, it is wonderful to share our food online indeed - what a dream it would be if there could be an international IMK meetup! Take care in these crazy times

      Delete
  7. Your apple baking and bread baking are amazing - I really want some of that stromboli. I love the colourful dumplings and your flowers. It must be so hard being apart from S for so long after you had planned. We are now getting to the point in Melbourne where we laugh about plans - we still make them but our expectations are low! I hope you are doing ok in your lockdown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laughing about plans or crying about plans! Perhaps laughing and crying at the same time.. it seems NSW is heading for a long lockdown, and Victoria is equally uncertain. Take care in the lockdown!

      Delete
  8. I was all prepared to make a lot of apple recipes but then I didn't get any for weeks in my vege box so they all went on hold! Yours look delicious! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine, it's nice to have baking and cooking projects during the lockdown! take care in the lockdown x

      Delete