Wednesday 3 November 2021

In My Kitchen: November 2021

October came and went past in a flash - honestly, I think it was the fastest month this year!  

In my garden...

I planted broad beans this year, and they flowered really early, but did not give me a single bean until the turnips flowered. Then the bees came for the turnips, and before I knew it there were broad beans everywhere. 

The last of the snow peas and sugar snaps were harvested and eaten - I had such a good run with them, I probably ate them every day for 2 months! Here was a quick stir fry I made with my own broad beans and sugar snaps.

The last of the radish greens, which I blanched and froze to throw into future stews.. 

These strawberries were incredible - tiny, juicy, sweet and incredibly flavoursome. 

I grew a pumpkin in the summer called Alfonso. I harvested my 4.2kg baby in March. I kept him for a long time thinking I would share it with S when he could come to Australia, but he never got a travel exemption to come to Australia. So I gave Alfonso to my dad before this lockdown in June. He kept it for another few months in a dark corner and finally, we ate it! Here he is stir fried with garlic, chilli and a few last stray sugar snaps 


On the bread front...

The Pains de France baking project continued with this Pain aux cereales, a delicious multi-grain loaf

A giant 1kg loaf that turned out really well - I took this one to a Freedom Party, it was strange to be in a room with lots of people again! 

I've been quite obsessed with the Asian style soft bakery breads, and here is an overnight sourdough Japanese-style milk bread (shokupan) I made. It was so cottony soft and fun to pull into threads!


Other things in the kitchen...

And one day I just felt like making a pear tarte tatin. These were made with corella pears that Ozharvest had rescued, and that we took home because they had soft spots.


I went away into the mountains for a few days on my own - it was wonderful to read, write, draw and take long walks. I stayed in a tiny house and the lovely hosts gave me some sweet juicy oranges from their orchard...

While away on retreat, I also enjoyed this little hamper that my friend sent me during the lockdown. It was such a treat to have a solo picinic! 


Finally, the food and music series...

After more than four months, my string quartet finally got together again. We celebrated with a loaf of my own sourdough, roast lamb and lots of veggies for dinner. And of course for our reunion we played the very first piece that we ever played together - Beethoven's Op 18 No 4. I played the viola for a change, since I am heading to Paris very soon and plan to play viola there. 

And the curveball this month is from another freedom party I went to - aren't dogs just the best? We also discovered that dogs love durian! 



I'm sending this to Sherry of Sherry's pickings, who hosts the monthly In My Kitchen series - thanks Sherry!


15 comments:

  1. I love seeing what you have to work with in your opposite season to us. We are also getting pumpkins, though they are the new ones, and usually do not have personal names!

    As always I wish I could sneak into your music evenings.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for dropping by Mae, I love personifying things and I have names for all sorts of things from my vegetables to my sourdough (Barney) and my musical instruments

      Delete
  2. Having a garden is so wonderful. We used to grow vegetables years ago, but when we moved to a different area, too many people spraying and chemicalizing their ground which runs into our ground. Lots of good cooking and baking this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judee, you're right that having a garden is so wonderful for the soul, I'm sad to hear that the ground is contaminated at your place :(

      Delete
  3. Loving this post! The music....how I would love to sit in on one of your sessions and listen. I am not musically talented but we listen to music several nights a week and enjoy.

    The broad beans look great and I love your kitchen and window. We don't have a window over the sink, for my sins, and if we ever move that's a requirement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for visiting Tina and you have such a keen eye to notice my window! I have a nice bright sunny place, quite tiny (not much kitchen space at all!) but it is a beautiful place to call my own :)

      Delete
  4. Always, always, always love to see your produce and your bread creations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love reviewing my own pictures at the end of the month too! It's a real treat to join IMK :)

      Delete
  5. love your breads and the tarte tatin. and those pups are so cute. our dog used to love dragging in the persimmons and mangoes from our trees and slathering them all over the floor. so funny. the wee bowl for the strawberries is cute too. thanks for being part of IMK.
    cheers
    sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Sherry for hosting and I'm glad you are on the mend! I was thinking when I uploaded the strawberry photo - I wonder if Sherry will like this little bowl! I'm so amused by the idea of your dog dragging mangoes and persimmons all over the house, none of my dad's labs have ever done something like that but I guess they didn't have any mangoes to spread around!

      Delete
  6. What a kind friend to put together such a lovely solo picnic for you. Your bread is beautiful. Did you eat the skins of the broad beans? I love them but have always found the preparation off putting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Liz I peel the outer pod but I eat the inner shell which is pretty young and nothing like what you would buy - that's the beauty of growing one's own broad beans, I guess! I grew up eating broad beans in China and I just adore them

      Delete
  7. So right October came and went in a flash and we are already in November. Always a delight to the eyes to see what is happening in your kitchen and it often inspires, but i have never been able to make such a beautiful loaf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming to visit Shaheen, I do adore the cycles of the seasons and seeing what the garden brings.. and also what ideas my bread brings!

      Delete