Sunday 8 May 2022

In My Kitchen: May 2022

Time is passing so quickly! April was a difficult month as my father went into lockdown in Shanghai. The lockdown there has been insane - all shops closed, no food delivery and a huge uncertainty over how they would feed themselves. I slept very badly during April and haven't been cooking as much. But let's take a look at what happened.. 

It was the season of hot cross buns... 


This was the first batch of the season - sourdough vegan hot cross buns with a maple syrup glaze. The first batch was for the nurses on a weekend shift. 


Once I realised how good this recipe was, I tested it out again with chocolate chips - a winner! I took these to a lunch with some friends. 


In normal times I may have tried a different recipe, but I just didn't have the energy so I stuck with the same recipe a third time for when my high school friends came to visit. It was really fun making these together, even if we miscounted the number of buns! 

Also in my kitchen...

I think when I feel stressed I always want to make things with my hands. So I made this huge batch of wontons stuffed with homegrown chives and vegetarian mince. 


I also made this torta pasqualina - a traditional Italian Easter pie with spinach & ricotta. I wanted to make a pastiera but no shops were open on Easter Sunday and I didn't have eggs! I did manage to make ricotta from 2L milk I bought from the servos.. 



One of the nurses gave me this giant sweet potato! I was carrying it around on the ward round so another nurse swaddled it for me like my newborn - what a good size! 


Onto the food and music series...

Well there hasn't been much music since my string quartet disbanded - the other violinist is worried about Covid and is not doing any social events, and the violist has moved back to the UK. She came back to visit for a few weeks though and we finally got to catch up along with the cellist.. just the three of us so we played string trios.


We had a loaf of my sourdough, just like the "Good Old Days" and enjoyed it with the Beethoven string trio Op 9 No. 3 in C minor (I think that's the best one), the Op 3 string trio as well as some of the Bach's 3 part inventions to keep us grounded. 


My friend from the Gold Coast was visiting Newcastle and we had a dinner together, probably our last musical evening before I leave for Canada. We played the Mozart D major violin concerto and the first movement of the Beethoven Kreutzer sonata... It was pretty messy :) but a lot of fun! Here was the Battenburg cake I made to commemorate the occasion. 

The curveball... 

Well I have two curveballs this month - hope it's allowed Sherry! The first is the amazing bread "shop" on Bruny Island by the Bruny Island baker. He makes sourdough every morning and drops it off in these two ancient fridges. It's an honesty system - $10 for a sourdough loaf and 2 anzac biccies. What a spectacular location! I've been making a little "Australia bucket list" for my last month in Australia and Tasmania / MONA / Bruny Island was on top of the list. 

The other curveball is here - I've been wanting to share some music with you, as many of you have left such lovely encouraging comments. Here is S and I playing the first movement of a Mozart violin sonata. We had only played through it once before making the recording, so there are lots of mistakes, but I think it's obvious how much talent he has as a violinist and how much positive energy we have as a couple. It is quite extraordinary, if I may say so myself! 

Sending this to Sherry of Sherry's Pickings who hosts the monthly In My Kitchen event - thanks for hosting Sherry!

14 comments:

  1. Your music is fabulous, and I enjoyed every one of the 3 minutes of it! After all these years of reading about your playing, it is wonderful to get at least a little sample of your playing. Now I want a bite of one of your delicious-looking pastries.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mae! You always come to visit me and I visit you too but despite many attempts never managed to leave you a comment!

      Delete
  2. i so hope you will keep doing IMK when you move to canada! thanks for joining in this month. Love your bread and buns and torta and the rest of it. Thanks for adding the music. yep another curveball is fine. what a fabulous idea for the bread fellow to leave the bread in the fridges. have a good month. cheers sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting as always Sherry, it's a fun way to review ones food and I always think of what's been happening in the month as well so it's a bit of a life review :)

      Delete
  3. Your baked goods look amazing. I especially am intrigued with the checkerboard and the music-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the chequerboard cake was really fun to make, not super duper complicated but visually a cool result!

      Delete
  4. I am saddened to read about your father! is he OK? I see such awful things on the news from Shanghai. So nice to see you 'in the flesh' playing your music :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a joy to share our music with other people :) finally after 2 months inside my dad went outside for the first time just yesterday!;

      Delete
  5. Your bread looks amazing! And so does your battenburg!

    Good luck with your move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marg looking forward to the move! It'll be interesting getting to know a new oven as well

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much for linking the You Tube video of you playing with S, it was lovely. After reading about your music is was fun to actually see and hear it, also wonderful to see what fun the two of you had. Wonderful food as always. Please do continue to post once you get to Canada, and tell us about your 'new' adventure there. Best of luck with the move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly plan to keep joining in with the IMK community, it's a bit of a ritual for me now! Thanks for sharing in our music :)

      Delete
  7. Your music is beautiful! I have listened to it several times and you are so talented! Loving your baked goods and I hope your father is doing well with the lockdown. that's scary stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina for your encouragement! We do have a lot of fun playing music together, it is a wonderful aspect of life!

      Delete