Sunday 30 March 2014

Food: March

The highlight of March was the camping trip and those oh-not-poisonous mushrooms we picked in Oberon, which I later saw advertised as exotic saffron milkcaps (does sound damn exotic) at a market for $20/kg! I've been getting back into making dal again and eating simple meals like dal, brown rice and curd (and lime pickle).



I have written about the vegetarian bento at Nazimi before, it is truly awesome. Here's a better photo of my bento - who thought of wrapping a nigiri in cucumber and topping with edamame, so cute! the fried potato sushi was surprisingly good too, as were the croquettes which had the right crunchy exterior with dreamy smooth inside. Definitely a winner even though dessert's now not included..



 Breakfast at Brewtown. The Berkelouw was such an institution in Newtown, I'm sure lots of locals were sad when it closed down. In its space is this hippy new cafe, sporting a faux-industrial feel with dim lighting and exposed bricks. A coffee bar runs along the length of the room, and a row of filters look like chemistry class! I had the most delicious breakfast of crispy polenta, two perfectly poached eggs with a gooey centre, herby field mushroom, asparagus and parmesan. It was like a dance on the tongue, the flavours bold yet so complementary. I would happily eat this every weekend.




Another breakfast at Brickfields. This is a middle-of-nowhere cafe in Chippendale, a little removed from all the hustle & bustle of Surry Hills. I was starving so started on coffee and this polenta, lemon and black sesame loaf. I ordered it because the lady in front of me ordered it, and I was too tired to think after nights, and it looked yummy. And it was just the perfect thing to go with coffee, all dense and crumbly with a good zing and little sesame explosions.



Then I had a salad of roasted organic tomatoes, snake bean and lentil salad. I was sceptical about this at first, since it seemed like the dish had too many influences to "work". Tomato - Western, snake bean - Asian, lentil - Indian, parsley - Mediterranean.. but it worked wonderfully well. The amazing crusty white sourdough was the perfect partner to this salad. I was surprised by how delicious it was! Definitely want to return to try other things at this little bakery.

 

Another breakfast at Foodies deli in Sandringham. This place was abuzz with families and dogs - a nice neighbourhood feel. The vegetarian big pan had a bit of everything - Brasserie sourdough, fried eggs, tomatoes, mushies, spinach, spuds and the star, haloumi.

Finally, I love Dough bakery in Town Hall - everything there is delicious, and I love wandering around having little samples of everything. The worst part is trying to decide what to get. This little bread lobster was so adorable!


No comments:

Post a Comment