Tuesday 27 May 2014

Shanghai: images from the French Concession

The French Concession holds a special place in my heart. It is such an atmospheric part of Shanghai, a hidden oasis amongst all the crazy new developments. The few streets near my house are the best preserved in the whole area, with their French maple trees lining the streets like silent soldiers.


Through my childhood, I saw these magnificent trees change through every season. In spring and summer, the bright green leaves make a thick foliage that stands strong despite the smog and pollution. The change of weather in autumn sees a change in the leaves to all shades of deep auburn and gold, scattering as the wind rustles gently. They crunch softly underfoot, a sound heard only among these streets. The trees stand tall but bare in winter, waiting patiently for the warmth to bring new growth again.



Each time I visit Shanghai, I am grateful that these trees around my place have remained in spite of all the new building developments in this busy modern city.

The French Concession is now quite a trendy popular area, especially as an expat neighbourhood. Boutique shops are everywhere, scattered amongst the old residential buildings. It is nice to see the defiance against name brand-consumerism that is rampant in modern China.




Old French houses converted into restaurants and shops along Fuxing W Rd. 
 

Fuxing W Rd #133, my favourite house in Shanghai (I just adore those oddly shaped windows). Previously a Moroccan restaurant, now a Belgian restaurant. 


 Only in the expat neighbourhood! Gelateria on Wuyuan Rd.



Discrete tattoo parlour on Fuxing W Rd. 

 Random homeware shop on Anfu Rd.

A visit to Shanghai is not complete without a visit to La Casbah (or three). I first discovered this hole-in-the-wall cafe opposite the Shanghai library while on elective at the hospital next door. Nothing, and I really mean nothing (from the menu board to the prices to the worn cushions.. to this sugar pot) has changed in the last 9 years and it is so refreshing to see something constant in this ever-changing city. How nostalgic I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment