Wednesday 26 August 2015

Dream: J and a military coup

Some years ago, I met a man who was quite into the remote areas of Yunnan - the history, the early explorers who lived in the area, and the mountains. We spent Christmas of 2008 looking for Catholic Tibetans in a remote valley. Here he appears in my dream.. for no apparent reason.

The dream starts in a holiday resort. It is so non-descript it could be anywhere in the world. The beach is wide and sandy with no distinguishing features. A row of umbrellas and deckchairs line the slightly grubby sand, complete with a gaggle of sunburnt tourists slathering themselves with suntan lotion.

I feel a minor sense of annoyance at being in such a place, not really my choice of holiday destinations. But I soon realise that I am with my friend J who has just married this man. I feel puzzled and struggle to fill in the gaps - how did they meet? how did they come to be married?

We are walking along the beach when we hear loud explosions.. not unlike firecrackers, or gunfire. All around us, people are getting up from under the umbrellas and shouting in a confused way. Many start running in the direction of a tall building at the end of the beach which looks like the hotel. Some start running in the opposite direction, where there is an empty highway.

Something bad is happening. I say to my companions. We must leave immediately.

They say that we must go back to the hotel to get our things, and J complains about being in a dress - how can I escape while wearing a dress? I will be found out for sure. My mind is blank as we walk as quickly as we can towards the hotel.

As we approach, I realise that the front of the lobby has been completely overtaken by heavily armed men. Gunshots are still ringing out from some distance away, and the crowd are murmuring about a military coup. We go into the carpark entrance, thinking that we can access the lift from the carpark. When we press the up button, we realise that all the lifts are stuck on level 16.

Still standing at the lift, we argue about what to do next. The sound of gunfire comes closer and closer, and we can see armed men entering the carpark. We start to run in the opposite direction, and as we emerge from a difference entrance of the carpark, I see a steam train. There are so many people hanging off the train that it is difficult to see where the doors are.

We must get on this train. I shout. This is our last chance!

J continues to grumble about her dress and the man is complaining about the money he left behind in the hotel room... I feel panicked as the train sounds the very last toot-toot!  Then I wake up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment