Saturday 11 March 2017

Three dreams - last days in Toronto

The blue beagle

This dream starts in a large holiday house. The kitchen looks out over a vast expanse of green which looks like a golf course, and the sea is glittering in the distance. There is a couple staying in the house with me, but I have my own separate wing on the other side of the house. I am running late for work and am picking through the kitchen to see what I can bring to eat.

As I walk past the dining table, I see a flash of blue near my feet. I bend down to see what it is, and it is an impossibly small dog, in an unnatural shade of bright blue (like Avatar). It is so small I pick it up with two fingers and wonder if it is the smallest dog I’ll ever see. I try to take a photo of it but the camera doesn’t focus. I try to find some place for the dog to run around in so I can see it again when I get home a mixing bowl perhaps or a glass oven tray? I look through the kitchen and all are see are gypsy-like ornate coloured glass bowls (would that confuse the dog?) or solid Tupperware (too claustrophobic?)

I turn around and find the dog still playing at my feet. I pick it up again to take a closer look at its dimensions – but I can’t pick it up with two fingers anymore, now it is about the size of the palm of my hand. I put the dog into a frying pan and it jumps straight over the edge. I walk into the other rooms looking for something to put it in, but every time I turn around the dog has doubled in size.

The couple come out of their room with champagne glasses.
Let’s drink a toast! The man says.
I explain I am running super late for work and am looking for somewhere to put the dog. By this time the dog has grown to the size of an average small dog and it is clearly a beagle, a bright blue beagle.

I go back into the kitchen and realise the sliding doors have been left open. The sun is streaming in through the doors and the waves are crashing loudly not too far from the door. The kitchen is filled with the salty aroma of the sea and fine granules of sand are now all over the kitchen floor. I look at the clock and it says 12:45 – how late am I? I wonder to myself.

I decide to leave and call out to the couple to look after the dog. It follows me to the door, comically growing with every step. It is now the size of a very large dog, maybe around 100 pounds or so.

How large is the blue beagle going to get before I get home?
Then I wake up.


The bust in Sweden

In this dream I am part of an elaborate plan – the details are really not clear to me, but there are lots of people involved and I am just a small cog in the wheel. My partner is a woman who looks not unlike Elsie, but she is a different breed – steely tough with a very serious face, she doesn’t joke around at all. We pick up a rental van and drive it to a prespecified place for modification. We stand outside the building and wait. Once the van comes out we get back on the road and this time we end up at a large ferry port, which looks like it feeds out to the sea but it really could be anywhere.

None of the dream takes place in the ferry, but in the next scene we are already at the destination. Everything looks distinctly foreign, and we are driving the van to a GPS address. The woman tells me that we will be meeting two men to exchange vans. I understand this as some type of transaction – and I start to feel afraid. The fear crawls under my skin and spreads throughout my veins like some type of poison. I ask her questions about the transaction but she does not have any answers.

Eventually I have the courage to ask her if I can leave. She says no. I explain to her that I never wanted to be part of all this, and perhaps it’s easier for me to not become involved any further, to leave before we give the van to the two men. After more discussion, she pulls the van up on the side of the road and I get out.

I walk along the edge of the road – it is a narrow winding mountain road with no pedestrian strip. I am simply walking so that I get away from the direction she is going on. I don’t try to hitchhike and no one stops to ask why I am walking in such a place. Eventually I get back to a town of some sort, and go into a house to ask for directions. A group of teenage boys are in the house and I sense some sort of hostility, but that rapidly resolves and they offer to help me. We walk into the town and they point out the bus I need to take to Tromso (I am in Sweden?) where I can change for a bus to Niagara falls.


We go into a supermarket labelled M and grab some food. All the food looks really strange to me, and I take a photo of a dessert pie topped with green noodles. As we are eating, the original woman and two other men come in and sit down at our table. The teenagers disappear and I am stuck with them. We discuss all sorts of things, but nothing pertaining to the crime that has occurred. I get up to surreptitiously creep out of the supermarket, but the other side of the supermarket has turned into an ICU and a nurse calls me over to see a patient with a platelet count of zero. Panicked with the desire to escape and not knowing how to respond to the nurse, I wake up.


The dark night with M

In this dream, it is extremely dark and sombre. M and I are on a road trip (except... we never went on a road trip together in real life) and we are on our way home. The back seat is strewn with bags and random stuff, as if we had been away for quite a long time.

He suggests that we stop at a restaurant for dinner, and I look at him in the dark somewhat confused. In all the time we had known each other, he never expressed any interest in food whatsoever. He would eat whatever was in front of him, not paying any attention to what it is or how it tastes. In any case we pull up outside a restaurant, the only building with lights on a very dark street. 

I look around for my handbag, not really knowing what it looks like. Then he points to the backseat and asks me to take a big paper bag and a smaller plastic bag into the restaurant. I struggle with the paper bag as it is heavy with something rolling around in it. The plastic bag is easy enough, with a few small paper wrapped packages inside. 

Suddenly the door opens and a gush of cold wind rushes in. I look around and realise all the doors are open - how is that possible? I think to myself. I grab the bags and get out of the car. Even the boot is open. I try to shut the passenger door and it doesn't budge. The darkness creeps up on me and my spine is tingling with fear. I cannot see M anymore - has he disappeared into the darkness? Then I wake up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment