Saturday 7 April 2018

In My Kitchen: April 2018

In my kitchen, this month even more than usual, it's all about my beloved Barney. When people at work hear about Barney, they usually think it's my child.. and when they realise it's not, they think it's my pet dog or rabbit... and when they realise it's not, they are usually very confused. Needless to say, all my friends and colleagues know who Barney is now! My beloved sourdough starter, born 11 June 2017 on my benchtop in Rapid Creek .

He makes quite a handsome loaf now, coming a long way since his early days. Flavour wise, he has improved immensely since the fridge died while I was away. He ate himself and I think all the non-strong yeast cultures must have died.



Barney was truly delicious with a cheese fondue.




I made these Barney cheesymite scrolls before we went to Timor Leste - it was hard to resist eating the whole pan fresh out of the oven.



It was also my first time making hot cross buns, which of course had to be B buns.



We did some non traditional things with Barney, like barmplings - surprisingly good! The skins were chewy but light. 



My farewell party also featured Barney in the form of woodfire pizza - 150g of Barney made 4kg of dough!






Getting the heat just right was hard with all the wood off to one side of the oven, but everyone loved Barney anyway.

We also enjoyed this amazing bountiful produce from my dad's garden in Sydney when I went back briefly - so many bitter melons, tomatoes and random leaves.


And finally, a strange stringy vegetable I saw at Rapid Creek markets, which was delicious in soup. 



 This is my first time contributing to In my kitchen hosted by Sherry's Pickings

14 comments:

  1. well barney is clearly a treasure. what lovely looking bread. and that pizza has me drooling. thanks so much for joining in IMk this month. it is always wonderful to have a new person join us. cheers sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry for the welcome! that Barney pizza fed a good horde of hungry people and the dog down the street even adopted us :)

      Delete
  2. Fascinating how sourdough starters take on an identity at least as strong as a dog or cat! Barney really knows how to make dough, doesn't he?

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mae - Barney certainly has a strong personality.. he can be very nitpicky at times!

      Delete
  3. How delicious to make Barney into dumplings! I've never seen that done before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lorraine! We had no yeast at home and it was good Friday.. so we thought why not give sourdough dumplings a go and they worked out super well! That slight tang worked really well with a rich filling :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, so many delicious recipes made with your own sourdough starter. It is something I will be attempting to make my own sourdough starter very soon.
    PS I especially love the look of the cheesymite scrolls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shaheen, thanks for dropping by and sharing in the joys of Barney. Those cheesymite scrolls were probably my favourite baked good ever!

      Delete
  5. Oh I love your Barney story. This is the 3rd time in the In My Kitchen April posts that I've noticed people name their sourdough starters. How have I missed this?! Gonna have to work out what to call mine now. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen - somehow it came quite naturally because I used to read about Celia's infamous Priscilla so I had to give him a name!

      Delete
  6. My own starter is called Dash, Barney is doing some great work...delicious looking pizza. Lucky you to have access to a wood burning pizza oven. I am very envious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Dash is a great name for a starter! sounds like a strong little boy! My friend rented a house and the pizza oven was a surprise discovery in the backyard :)

      Delete
  7. Hello! Nice to meet you and Barney. Your cheese fondue, scrolls, "B" buns, and barmplings :) look delicious... and OH MY, that PIZZA! Sorry to hear your fridge died, but apparently you've overcome that loss. Welcome to IMK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim :) I've never been much into making food of any type till I made Barney!

      Delete