Tuesday 12 March 2019

In my kitchen: March 2019

My father's garden is a treasure trove and we all look forward to the harvest every year. Last spring he was away and planting was delayed, but his Green thumbs more than made up for it.







When we moved to our family home over 20 years ago

 
my dad took a cactus cutting from our neighbours and finally this year it yielded an incredible amount of fruit. These purplish wonders are sweet tender and juicy! 

I have been making quite lovely loaves recently. Discovering the fridge proof method has really made it even easier to whip up bread in the morning. There's nothing like dawn with a softly awakening dough, gathering one's thoughts while the aroma of fresh bread fills the house.







I took Barney to China where he struggled with the terrible Chinese flour (perhaps not real flour..) One loaf was a total flop.


These steamed buns were soft and fluffy though.




We had a lot of fun making these sourdough BBQ pork buns! No idea till this wintery miserable day that my dad is an expert bun maker



And last but not least, a rice cooker cake because we have no oven in Shanghai but I wanted to make my grandma a cake. It looks more like an overgrown egg tart but it was fluffy and delicious! Who knew one can make a cake in the rice cooker?!

I'm sending this to In My Kitchen hosted by Sherry. How 2019 is flying by!

4 comments:

  1. Such beautiful bread and garden produce photos! Loved your "visual" with words describing dawn, too -- and your Dad. How do you make your BBQ'd pork? I can never get mine to "color up" that way. (But it tastes good!) I especially liked your rice cooker cake. Yes, who knew?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I love this time of year where there are so many veggies to discover! We did it the lazy way, buy a box of BBQ pork and chop it up :) we have made our own before but it's so much basting work..

      Delete
  2. Vegetables from your garden look wonderful. I read a story one time about an American manufacturer of rice cookers who developed many recipes that could be made in the cooker, but Japanese housewives were very protective of the integrity of their rice cookers because of Japanese reverence for rice. So I guess this feature is maybe not well publicized!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Growing up with a rice cooker I never imagined making a cake in it either!

      Delete