Thursday 13 June 2019

3 dreams in Japan

The first dream: Unresponsive ghosts 

In this dream Emily and I are the violinists in a quartet with a middle aged violist called Miriam and an older cellist whose name I cannot remember. We are staying in an old majestic house with creaky floors and tall ceilings.

The cellist says she must leave early to help with making dinner before the performance but the rest of us go to the front of the house to do some impromptu playing before the performance. We discuss what we could play with 2 violins and a viola, and in the end we decide on the Mozart Kegelstatt.

I sit down at the piano which is next to a large bay window with light streaming through it. The sunshine is bright and illuminates the room with much warmth. As I get ready to play the very first chord, I see something reflected in the window. I ask the others to look too but they see nothing. I see several people but they are going about their own business not paying any attention to us. I go up to the ghosts but they seem to be transparent.

I sit back down at the piano and we try the opening again, but we are disjointed and not together. Then Emily has this idea to take a selfie. We get together in front of the window, with the light illuminating our faces perfectly. I see in the screen of her phone that the ghosts are visible. Both Emily and Miriam see them this time and they are impressed the ghosts are there.

Emily adjusts the angle of the phone to get a good picture of them and as she presses the capture button, I wake up.


The second dream: Inside a stocking 

In this dream I'm staying in a big old house run by a cranky housekeeper. There are a lot of people milling around the different parts of the house, with lots of living corners. I am wearing a long black dress with lacey sleeves, something I would not usually wear in real life.

Then two of my high school friends come in and the housekeeper tells them that the house is full. I plead with her to try and help them. I notice that my dress seems to be longer than it had been. She takes them up some side stairs to a different part of the house, one she says has only been done up recently.

I go into the kitchen and notice that my dress is a lot longer now, maybe ankle length now. Emily is in the fridge and she is very angry at a fridge magnet. I go closer and see that the fridge magnet is a cartoon scene of a few people sitting around a table. She says the person wearing a red shirt in the cartoon is her and that my friend drew her into the cartoon without her permission. I cannot see any similarity between her and the magnet at all, but nevertheless she is very upset.

My dress is longer yet again. I go into a room next to the kitchen and as the door closes, total darkness descends. It is so black that it feels like the world has stopped. I am really scared and my heart pounds. Slowly the darkness lifts a little and I can make out some light. The light seems to follow some pattern and I wonder if I am hallucinating it.

As the light arranges itself into rows, the answer is apparent. I am inside a stocking.
Then I wake up.


The third dream: Beaveroos on Darby St

In this dream I am driving down a street towards the sea. I have a distinct feeling I'm in Cooks Hill but it does not look very familiar.

The sky is blue and the sea is an incredible shade of deep dark blue. A perfect crescent of sand awaits me at the end of the street, fringed by some neat greenery. As I get closer, I see some kangaroos hopping around.

What an idyllic scene. I think to myself.

Then I see the kangaroos have beaver heads. They look really strange with round blobby heads and big buck teeth, but their bodies are sleek and muscular like kangaroos. They seem bigger than the usual kangaroo as well, their bounce comically high.

I take a video of them thinking I would send it to my friends, then turn left onto Darby St. Soon I come to a pedestrian section which does not exist in real life. The road gets narrower and narrower till I am stuck in front of a Greek Taverna. Where I am stuck is so close to the end of the pedestrian zone that I can see my building, but I cannot get to it.

I try to turn around but after many direction changes I am still stuck. In my rear view mirror I see a green bin and I wonder if I could get out if I knock it over. I contemplate this for a while but I don't want to ruin the dinners of those eating on the footpath nearby. But I am stuck.. what to do? Before I reach any resolution, I wake up.

No comments:

Post a Comment