Saturday 5 October 2019

In My Kitchen: October 2019

I have really enjoyed the last few weeks, emerging out of the chilly weather. I worked a lot in September but interspersed it with heaps of music and baking.

In the garden…
The very last of the baby bok choy was harvested.
On the day I pulled every last stalk out of the ground, the pile stood so high that I thought it was a man (the Bok Choy Man) sitting on the chair.

It took me ages but I stripped all the stalks of bok choy and ended up with a huge bag (maybe 1kg) of bok choy leaves that I ate shredded in salad every day (every meal, practically) for two weeks. 



Here it is with some simple but delicious dal. Sometimes the simplest things are the best in life.

The warming of the weather means the coriander is coming to an end too, though I did still eat a heap of coriander every day in September.


Baking projects...
It was moon festival this month, and I decided to have a go at making Shanghainese style moon cakes stuffed with a savoury pork filling.
The pastry was quite a pain (had to make two types of dough – an oil dough and a water dough to mix together) but in the end the flakiness was worth it. 


The insides were so juicy and hot that I burned my mouth when they first came out of the oven!

In more news from Barney, here is a beautiful loaf with particularly lovely holes.

I’m fortunate to have sourdough most mornings for breakfast. My friend who always sends me pictures of avo on toast from various cafes inspired me to make this one – avo, cheese and spicy beansprouts. If I may suggest, that is the best fusion avo toast ever.

These are just about the most adorable things I’ve made for a while – cute little sourdough pumpkin buns stuffed with dark chocolate chips. They came out of the oven soft and moreish, pulling apart to delicate strands. The string to get the pumpkin shape was pretty fiddly but it was well worth the effort!

Onto the Food and Music series
I went with the Merewether ensemble up to the Gold Coast for a music weekend. What fun that was! We were just about the most eclectic collection of musicians ever. There were the traditional instruments like piano, violin, viola and cello. But we were joined by a variety of recorders, a saxophone, a trombone and random percussion instruments. Of course we all had a go on the didjeridoo cos that’s really traditional chamber music! One of us brought a piece for piano 8 hands (that’s 4 people sitting at the same time on the piano bench) which became the theme song for the weekend. We also had the rare opportunity to play 2 piano duets!
Our gracious hosts made this divine slow cooked lamb shoulder one night for dinner, filling the house with incredible smells as it roasted in the oven, served with a zingy salsa verde.

Of course Barney came for the ride too, here he is on the plane reading the safety instructions


These delicious parmesan scrolls were eaten one night with some wonderful piano duets – the Peer Gynt suites by Grieg (just about my favourite piano duet music), the incredible Fantasie in F minor by Schubert and a lesser known work – Lebensturme (Life’s Tempest), and for a dessert a sweet little sonata by CPE Bach.

My string quartet had a wonderful reunion sans Barney (I was working too much that week). We had the most succulent salmon and crispy roast potatoes, along with fresh veggies and salad. This feast was enjoyed with all the violist's favourites - the Beethoven string quartet Op 18. No.4  (probably the quartet for our group), a mash through the first movement of the Brahms String quartet Op 51 No.1 & No.2, and the other all time favourite, Schubert's Death and the Maiden.
It was the violist’s birthday and we took the chance to indulge in this wonderfully rich chocolate cake. I switched the candles around while the cellist was looking for matches… How do you know we are all getting old? The cellist thought she’d developed dementia and the violist thought her eyes needed checking. Only the other violinist picked up immediately that I’d been up to mischief! Who knew that we could sing Paphy Dirtybah instead?

I'm sending this to Sherry who hosts the In My Kitchen series. Thanks Sherry!

12 comments:

  1. Your food and music combinations are always so wonderful, I never know which I would choose if I could: to listen or to taste. Lucky you!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mae! Life is short, have to music and eat while we can :)

      Delete
  2. What a treat to read your IMK post, food-wise and music-wise. Wonderful flavors and "notable" memories! Thanks for sharing your multi-talented inspirations too, xo. Currently I'm practicing a 4-handed piano duet (never attempted 8-hand but it sounds fun!) but after drooling over so much food (yours included) it's a wonder two of us fit on the piano bench, lol. Nice to meet you, and thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful you're trying out piano duets! If ever you need suggestions let me know because I absolutely love that genre

      Delete
  3. your moon cakes look great tho it does sound like a lot of work! not sure i'm up for a lot of dough making:) Yum chocolate cake is essential for a birthday or should i say 'dirtybah'? the cute pumpkin buns and parmesan scrolls have me drooling. thanks for joining in Cheers sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry for hosting! I quite enjoy looking at what I've eaten at the end of the month!

      Delete
  4. I love bok choy (so do the bugs), choi sum and all the Asian greens. Oh my… look at those buns! Yes, I bet the pastry was a pin but I bet you enjoyed every mouthful. Ha ha – Barney will be able to do the safety demos soon ; )

    http://www.tiffinbitesized.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fiona I love it when people take pengy and Barney seriously :) Most of the time I just get weird looks!

      Delete
  5. Oh I love all your sourdough but the little pumpkin buns are my favorite! So cute. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must read up on these moon cakes as they look perfect for work lunches :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were pretty tasty heated up with a side salad just like a Chinese take on meat pie :)

      Delete