Tuesday 2 June 2020

In my kitchen: June 2020


How quickly May went past! I was supposed to be in Italy in May for a music catch-up with two of my dearest friends, but instead I had two weeks of lovely staycation at home. 

Words cannot describe the languor and deep content that comes from prolonged rest, a vague sense of idleness interspersed with dancing around the living room to upbeat music (not the doof doof kind.. like the Scherzo from Faure’s piano quartet). 


I also fell in love with repetitive salad lunches, here with roasted broccoli, artichokes and a Greek-ish base. Lots of people say having the same lunch over and over helps to reduce decision, fatigue, now I believe them!

On the garden front….


My bok choy is growing really well. I sowed these seeds in February when I moved into my new place, and now they are giving me a healthy handful of bok choy everyday.


I’ve been eating them raw, stir fried or in noodle soups (here in a wonton noodle soup)


The peas I sowed during Covid are growing pleasingly well, and I am so encouraged by their tendrils reaching up to the sky, a little bit further each day.


And the Covid radishes are just starting to poke out of the ground now

On the sourdough front….

I had plenty of time to dream about baking projects, so I made this giant cinnamon scroll cake for the cellist’s birthday, layering it with apples for a gorgeous rose effect. 

These were perhaps the best ever thing I have ever baked – each layer soft and scrumptious, with a tangy slice of delicate apple to spice up each ringlet. 


I had a sourdough pizza party one night and these potato and rosemary pizzas had incredible flavour, drizzled with garlic oil. 

The tomato base was made from pureed tomato and fresh oregano, topped with slices of roast eggplant. 


Onto the Food and Music series… 

Our string quartet has resumed our regular meetings with a blast from the past of all our culinary and musical favourites.. 

Veg korma, beef massamun and sourdough naans... 
Served with Beethoven's 18/4 and Death and the Maiden

Roast lamb shoulder, roast cauliflower and greens, flatbread...
Served with Beethoven's 18/4 (yes really our favourite), Happy Birthday variations and the second Borodin string quartet. 

My Newcastle ensemble has resumed too, though various members are still missing. We tackled the Mozart wind quintet then devoured this sourdough babka stuffed with blueberry and almonds.

I'm sending this to Sherry of Sherry's pickings, thanks for hosting the monthly IMK event!

12 comments:

  1. thanks for joining in this month! isn't it nice to get out and about again after covid? well, sort of...love that beautiful apple rose effect. so very pretty! and i adore potato and rosemary pizza. just delicious. take care
    cheers
    sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting Sherry, always super fun to review the month in food

      Delete
  2. I love making home made pizza and it has gotten me through many a Friday night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beautiful food and the music to go with it. From here it seems amazing that you are returning to normal, as we in the US have gone from one deep crisis to another, without ending to either one.

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mae my thoughts are with you, it's been a particular tough time with the situation in America

      Delete
  4. What stunning cakes you baked! And I am glad you are back to normal. It's certainly not normal here in the states and I am happy there is not a crisis everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz, hopefully the world is going slowly back towards a bit more normality.. keep safe

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks it was amazing to eat too :) and quite an unusual birthday cake

      Delete
  6. I love the sound of that pizza, and am going to try it. And, your cinnamon scroll cake looks fabulous! I don't suppose you'd care to share the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claudia, you inspired me to write it out! You can find it at http://ayearindarwin.blogspot.com/2020/06/giant-cinnamon-scroll-cake.html?m=1

      Delete