Wednesday 8 February 2023

In My Kitchen: February 2023

 Super late this month because we are in Australia for a quick winter sojourn! This is going to be a quick one since I'm on my phone.



Octopus wieners from La cantine de minuit. We got given this manga for Christmas and we started doing Manga Mondays cooking dishes from the book. 


Sesame bagels for my on call weekend. These worked out a real treat! 


Vegan lasagne we had for our meal prep. I made the bechamel with soy and it was a bit weird, but after resting in the fridge it was really delicious! 


Another manga Monday, next day curry with rice, here the curry was made with carrot, potato, chickpeas tofu. It's called next day curry because it is more delicious the next day! 


This was a delicious cinnamon raisin sourdough loaf I made for work colleagues. We also took it on the road for snacks, on the way to our long weekend in Banff. 

Chinese New Year


Hakka style abacus beads made from mashed taro and tapioca flour. These were really delicious, chewy and moreish, served with a spicy sauce of onion and mushroom.



S is a real pro at making dumplings now! I roll the skins and he stuffs them. 


It's the year of the rabbit! I think it'll be our new annual tradition to have the animal in salad form 


A whole roasted snapper. Fish is essential for the Chinese New Year celebration. 


We finished with a dessert of red bean cooked with orange peel for freshness. It was a great meal and we were thinking of family. 


It's been so cold in Canada that soup and fresh bread has become a staple. I'm trying to get back into baguettes again! 


Here we had a lovely big hotpot on a musical evening where we played the Beethoven string quartet Op 95, this must be one of my ALL time favourites. 

My curveball this month is this beautiful mountain vista from Banff. We went there for a 4 day long weekend before S had a conference. The Banff arts centre is an incredible site perched on the hill overlooking the touristy Banff town centre. We absolutely adored the mountain scenery, going for long walks and visiting Lake Louise. I had to keep checking my eyes that it wasn't some kind of Photoshop, it really was incredibly picturesque. 


I'm sending this to the In My Kitchen group hosted by Sherry's pickings, thanks Sherry for hosting! 

2 comments:

  1. look at that mountain view! so lovely. and how clever are you to make that gorgeous cinnamon loaf and bagels and dumplings ... We are sweltering here in brisbane! Can't wait till winter cometh! thanks for joining in this month. cheers sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Banff and Lake Louise have been on my want-to-see list for decades. You are lucky to visit there in good winter weather. I’ve always heard of how unreal the scenery looks — but it’s real!

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete