Saturday 1 April 2023

In My Kitchen: April 2023

Dear friends of IMK, welcome to my kitchen, have I got a story to share with you this month! 


Who would have thought you could make little dough lovebirds like this? I really enjoyed the process of making them. The males have their wings spread and the females are more demure. I also strangely enjoyed poking the cloves in to be their eyes... 


Here they are after baking! Aren't they beautiful? 


I had to store them out of sight because they were the first step in a big surprise project... 


I've never made such a giant dough (it was a simple challah dough), I couldn't find any bowl big enough so I put it inside my biggest IKEA pot. Obviously my sourdough was too active - the next morning I woke up to see that it had exploded in the fridge! 


Can you guess yet what I'm making..? I made my own wedding "cake" from sourdough! 
It was a base layer of braided challah (just because challah is delicious), a Chinese middle layer of a Chinese style babka with sesame, coriander, chilli and green onions, and an Italian top layer of tomato focaccia. It represents the coming together of our cultures. 

You may ask... but why is it on the balcony? Because I started making it 2 hours before the wedding and I needed it to cool down quickly. It was -5 outside so I put it outside to cool! We ended up putting it together just 7 minutes before the wedding started. Talk about cutting it close! 


The Italian focaccia layer 


Braiding the Chinese babka... 


Have a look at that Chinese layer, my friend E's flavour creation - she calls it crack babka because it is utterly addictive!


Here's the final wedding "cake" in all its glory. So much fun to make!



My bridal bouquet - the first time that I met S we ate artichokes that we bought from the market downstairs from his place in Paris


We also got ourselves a beautiful dozen roses 


S wanted to match the artichoke so he had a piece of cos lettuce for his pocket - so sweet


This is probably one of my favourite photos from my entire life! It was so special to celebrate our wedding with friends in Toronto, especially our music friends. We got married in the party room in our condo so that we could unplug the piano and take it downstairs.  It was so special that we could play a part of the second Brahms violin sonata during the ceremony - here is a video of the beginning. It was a really simple wedding, 20 people, a potluck dinner, and a music party - now how often do you get to play music in your wedding dress?? 

And now we drink our coffee from these cups :) 

Thanks to Sherry for hosting the IMK series - I don't know any of you in person but I feel like I know you all, thanks for all your words of encouragement and support! 

18 comments:

  1. WOW! That is a wonderful story. I am so happy for you! Congratulations, and many happy years of music and good bread and everything else that is good in your life. This is surely the happiest post of the whole month.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much for visiting Mae! It was a wonderful day indeed and we are looking forward to many happy years of music and food :)

      Delete
  2. I love your wedding cake! Congratulations. Wishing you a lifetime of happiness together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Lori! I also adored making my own wedding cake-bread :)

      Delete
  3. Congratulations to you both! I love how everything from your wedding is so personal to you - especially the artichoke flowers!

    Have a great month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Marg, artichokes are so special to us and it always reminds us of getting together :)

      Delete
  4. May you celebrate many ordinary days together, and appreciate all the extraordinary ones! Wishing you a lifetime of happiness, great music and joy xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's a wonderfully poignant reference to the ordinary and extraordinary days, we are blessed to have found each other in life!

      Delete
  5. oh this is marvellous! Many congrats to you both! I love that cake and the lettuce kerchief and the artichoke bouquet. Just lovely and fun. And brilliant with the music-making. Thanks so very much for joining in and letting us share your happy time. Cheers Sherry x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for hosting the series Sherry, it's a real highlight for me every month!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations and wish you both health and happiness. What a unique wedding cake and made with so much love. And the lettuce handkerchief is priceless. Have a great life together :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Moya for visiting! We had such a wonderful special wedding, it was so much us and we loved not subscribing to all the big fancy wedding do stuff

      Delete
  7. Great post. what a wedding, loved everything about it, especially the lettuce leaf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Francesca, the lettuce leaf was my favourite part too!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations! I am so happy for you both and you seem perfectly matched. I love the creativity of your cake, artichoke bouquet and the cos lettuce pocket kerchief. What a fun wedding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Liz, it was a quirky wedding because we are both a bit abnormal I guess :)

      Delete
  9. Congratulations! I love a wedding that is both traditional and personal - you did a wonderful job of bringing your passions to the ceremony. I enjoyed your video and love love love that "wedding cake", especially the love birds. You have such a fairytale story and so lovely that you are happy with S. Long may your happiness, music and baking continue!

    ReplyDelete