Friday 9 June 2023

In My Kitchen, June 2023

We are in the middle of packing up in Toronto for the move to Paris! In fact we will be in Germany till the end of July as S is going to an important academic convention there which I've nicknamed Nerdfest... so there will be a lot of wurst and sauerkraut coming soon :)

Here, a quick look at what was in my kitchen in the last month... 


I continue my obsession with swirly breads.. this one made with dark cocoa powder, just a hint of chocolate in the final product. 


We continue with our Manga Monday tradition. Here the dish was Hiya Jiru, a cold summer soup with a base of sesame and dashi. It was not so much a soup more like a thick sauce! It was delicious with a bowl of rice and a pile of edamame..


I tried making sourdough injera again... it wasn't super effective since I didn't get as many holes as I would have liked, but the texture was nice and soft. I also bought some shiro powder from an Ethiopian shop (there are many in Toronto) and this made a delicious shiro! 


Sourdough banana and coconut pancakes. My dad always says life is boring and we have to find our own fun. 



Tortilla Thursdays are another fun tradition we have. We are just at the end of the tortilla flour now, the bag has lasted us a whole year! Here we had some mango salsa, leftover lentils, and grilled capsicums with cajun seasoning. 


We have been doing the rounds of visiting our friends for the last time (for now). Here I made this loaf for one of these parties. 


We made this cake with our friends' kids, it was an insane amount of sugar and the kids  both got super hyper. At one point they were licking the icing off the table! We called it the Neptune cake since the surface was covered by moon rocks of unmelted icing.


This was a tray of baked goodies I took to another farewell party. The loaf at the back was made with gluten free flour leftover from the failed croissant experiment, and the front is  normal gluten full pretzels which worked out pretty well. 


The farewells continue. This was a dinner we had at ours with wrap-your-own Vietnamese paper rolls. So fresh and delicious! 


I associate Toronto so much with roti, not the flat bread kind of roti we usually associate with Indian cuisine but Caribbean style roti, where the roti is huge and becomes a wrapper for delicious fillings. When I lived here in 2016-2017 I had a favourite place but it closed down and its chef has since moved to a fancier joint. The roti is still amazing! 

The curveball this month is the Infinity Room by Yayoi Kusama, which has been installed at the Art Gallery of Ontario. The reflective objects are placed all around the room and you are immediately surrounded by hundreds, if not thousands, reflections of yourself. It's also completely silent. Eerie but cool!

That's it for me this month, thanks to Sherry again for organising the IMK series. I'll see everyone next month from Germany!

4 comments:

  1. Your party foods look wonderful and really delicious. Have a great wrap-up for your Toronto life and enjoy Germany.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness that is so exciting for you. Paris here you come! Love all your baked goods. The swirly bread and the pancakes look delicious and fun. Enjoy yourselves in germany too. Thanks muchly for joining in IMK in this busy time for you. We've had the Infinity room a few times here in our State Art Gallery. I adore Yayoi Kusama! Bon voyage! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited for your move! We plan on being in Paris next year sometime so will ask you for the perfect places to find baguettes etc. That gluten free bread looks amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you seem to be having lots of fun with those breads and cakes and farewell gat-togethers. Everything looks amazing, esp those swirly breads. Good luck with your travels and finding time to bake in all the craziness of relocation and nerdiness!

    ReplyDelete