Wednesday 19 January 2011

Monsoonal rain

On my 5th day in Darwin, I finally realised how crazy the rain is.

So far I've been sort of lucky, the rain only really coming during the night. All I've heard of it has been the sloshing sound of buckets of water falling on my rooftop, and when I get up in the morning everything is soggy. Today I came out of the hospital and looked up to see a dark and ominous sky, but since I only live across the road, I started out for home.

Within 30 seconds the rain started. Big fat raindrops that pelted down with ferocious force. Within another 30 seconds the rain reached such a velocity that my face was totally covered in water and I couldn't open my eyes. By the time I ran home (possibly only another 30 seconds later), I was completely soaked to the bone and could wring water out of even my shoes. But by the time I had a shower and opened the door again to hang out my clothes, the sun was out again!

My arrival in Darwin has been a mixed bag of feelings. On one hand the hospital is like a pre war dungeon and reminds me solidly of Hornsby, on another the patients are absolutely fascinating. I think I really am up for a year of developing world medicine in a developed hospital, which will be fantastic. However, the hospital has elected me to start on nights, something that I feel anxious about. I am filled with so many unanswered questions - a giant adventure lays ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment