Sunday 6 March 2011

Dream in Bali

This is the dream I had on my 3rd night in Bali.

The dream starts inside Coles, where I'm standing at the fridge to the side of the fruit & veg section, usually full of cold drinks. I'm looking up and down the display and there's the usual coke, red bull, iced tea etc. My eyes settle on the top shelf where there is a row of NT-unique iced coffee (I think it's called Territory's Own?).

As usual I'm amazed at the selection, standard iced coffee, skim, double shot, chocolate etc. There's a big sign underneath one end of the row, advertising "Special! IV salbutamol, $3.49 per bottle."

I'm puzzled and look around for someone to explain why the iced coffee is advertised as salbutamol. Then a short squat Indonesian woman grabs my arm in a vice-like grip and hisses "Be quiet! This is not how we do things in Bali!"

I'm startled and allow her to drag me away from the drinks fridge. She pushes me down a few aisles till we come to an entire aisle filled with kaya of all different colours in different sized jars. She says, "Quickly! Choose one!" I look around, not sure what the differences between all the jars are. As I hesitate, she grabs one off the shelf and gives it to me. It's filled with luridly green kaya (the colour of radioactive stuff on the Simpsons). The jar itself is a weird shape, with a very narrow neck and I wonder in the dream how I could possibly put a spoon down the neck to get the kaya out.

"What are you doing? Now you must choose a tart shell!" She points to the opposite side, which is full of tart shells in different shapes and sizes. I grab one and it's so crispy it shatters in my hand, scattering crumbs all over the floor.

Silently she drags me away from the kaya / tart aisle and we head towards the checkout. As we get there I look to the right and see the IV salbutamol again.. then I wake up.

No comments:

Post a Comment