Tuesday 29 March 2011

Dream: neonatal resuscitation

In this dream I'm sitting in Outpatients Area 2 at Royal Darwin, where I usually have my clinics. Somehow I know that this is an ICU outpatients clinic, which is a bit of an oxymoron..

I pick up the next file from my usual maroon box of files and call the patient. No-one answers but there's a baby in front of me. I pick him up and take him into my office, and no parents seem to be with the baby. It's a happy gurgly chubby baby of about 9-10 months, and I bounce him up and down on my lap, whilst reading through his file. All I can see are normal antenatal records, and there's no mention of why this baby is in my ICU clinic.

Suddenly my boss Tsin comes into the room.

"Nancy! What are you doing? What's wrong with his baby?" He demands angrily (very unusual as he's usually such a mild man).

"I don't know why this baby is here, I'm just trying to figure out what's wrong with it."

The baby starts smiling and laughing on my lap, then it suddenly falls to the left of me and hits the ground with a thud.

I panic and look down. The baby is having a generalised tonic-clonic seizure and appears to be frothing at the mouth.

My head runs through A...B...C... but I'm frozen in action. I crouch down on the ground and try to turn the baby on its side.

"What are you waiting for? Start CPR!" Tsin shouts at me.
"But.. but.. he's still breathing and has a pulse.." I protest feebly.
"I don't know what you're thinking, just hurry up." He glares at me so I put my hands around its skinny little chest and start compressing its chest.

All of a sudden he stops seizing and looks almost peaceful in my hands. For a brief moment I wonder if he's dead. Then Tsin says "Where's the drill? We need it now!"

As I'm thinking "what drill? why do we need a drill?" He pulls a big green drill that looks like something from Bunnings out of his back pocket, and snatches the baby from my hands.

He puts his hands over the baby's skull and feels for the fontanelle. Then he drills directly into the fontanelle and the baby screams as clear CSF runs out..

Then I wake up, horrified.

No comments:

Post a Comment