Tuesday 30 April 2013

Food: April

Where did April go? It seems to have passed faster than any of the preceding months.

My favourite meal in April was not actually captured on photo - it was when Elaine brought over a huge slab of sashimi salmon and we sliced it up and ate it with some random vegetables for dinner. So simple but totally perfect, and the leftovers made a very nice midnight - lunch on night shift.



Another pre-night shift dinner. Pork shoulder slow cooked for 10 hours in stock / paprika / brown sugar / mustard / thyme / shallots. Don't ask me where Henry got the recipe, it was so ridiculously delicious I could have eaten 3 of these.




After nights, Grace and I tried to stay awake by going to Mad Spuds cafe in Surry Hills and ordering this stack. I can't even remember what was in it, but it was quite tasty, though I think one's taste buds are ruined after a week of being awake at night and eating toast.



Then we had a second breakfast at Lumiere cafe. I think these were ricotta hotcakes with mascarpone and berries.



Baked eggs with eggplant kasundi and housemade beans at Element 6 in West Ryde. It's pretty cool how this suburban suburb got its own dose of the inner west.




Vanilla slice, prettily presented on a board at some cafe in Top Ryde.



Ippudo has been all the hype in the food blogosphere, and I've been wanting to check it out for a while. However I already have several ramen dedications (particularly Ryo's and Gumshara) and wasn't really sure if I liked the idea of paying $20 for a bowl of ramen. This was the akamaru, a tonkotsu soup with a dollop of spicy miso which lights up the soup like magic when it's stirred in. It was good, but not super-duper good - the noodles are not as fresh tasting as Ryo's and the soup is not nearly as rich as Gumshara's.



The legendary pork roll was indeed legendary, melt in the mouth grilled pork sitting inside a cute little fluffy fold with a smear of mayo and a little lettuce. A couple of mouthfuls and one wonders why there isn't a bigger one! 



A weekday dinner with Barbz at Thyme Square, our local haunt. The rest of the dinner (salt & pepper squid, steak with chips) was highly edible but nothing special. The vanilla bean pannacotta was divine though, perfect wobble and nicely offset by passionfruit.




A coconut apple slice from Sideways in Dulwich Hill.




I've said it before, but pork rolls (this one from the Ashfield pork roll shop) will definitely feature on my last supper.




Soft shell crab salad from Thairiffic  in Newtown. This place dishes out Thai which is just a notch above the average Thai joint on King St, of which there appears to be dozens. This was just the right amount of sticky with a strong sweet chilli flavour.


Apple custard brioche and sultana milk bun from Bakerie in Gordon. This newly opened artisan sourdough is a welcome addition to the dull Gordon food scene. These pastries were delightful, and I took home a loaf of green olive sourdough which I could have eaten all in one go with some cheese!




Happy birthday Eve! For such a luridly coloured cake (well, it is a first birthday..), the inside was a lusciously moist marble swirl cake.




Bar Italia = pure nostalgia. I love their "no soy, no decaf, no skim, only milk" sign.




Well well, how could a month pass by without Korean Fried Chicken? The answer is, it never does. On our last visit to Naru One I found my favourite variant of KFC - shallot flavoured! It is so mind shatteringly crispy, and the inside so tender and juicy - I could happily eat this everyday until I die of a heart attack.



Cheeseburger from Cafe Giulia. I reckon they make the bestest burgers, which is why they are always packed.
 



Finally, I have finished the last of my Ethiopian coffee. I really enjoyed the last bag of Tomoca coffee I opened, for it was much darker and earthier than the other bags. Aside from the pre-requisite punch (after all, I drink it to be alert enough to go to work), I love how aromatic the coffee is and the way it makes me want to sniffle the air long after I've finished drinking. Till the next time I get to Tomoca!

1 comment:

  1. Traitor - you ate someone else's vanilla slice!

    ReplyDelete