Saturday 21 January 2017

Dream: the Korean boy and rock flowers

In this dream I am returning my rental car, a small dark blue hatchback, into the multi-storey carpark of an airport. I don’t recognise where I am or where I have been, but a quick glance at the backseat suggests I have been on a long trip.

Once parked, I get out of the car and mentally make a note of don’t forget anything now from this big mess! I walk away for a few moments and when I return there is a Korean boy sitting in the backseat amongst the junk. He is around 12 or so, quite small and thin. His hair is long at the front with a lock covering his eyes, making him look older than he is. He is silently licking an icecream cone.

What are you doing here? I ask him.
He shrugs and continues to eat his icecream.
With a little more prompting he says he is trying to get away from his mother and his sister. I tell him that he has to go back to them and I have to return the car.
He shrugs and gets out. Next to me he seems even more diminutive as we start walking through the carpark, seemingly aimlessly.

Suddenly he says, have you seen the 石头花? (Rock flower)
I am struck by a sense of awe – what is that? I am filled with an insatiable curiousity to find out what it is. Further questions don’t bring any answers other than he saw it very close to the airport.

We get back to his family car, which is a long white limousine, and his mother thanks me for returning him. I ask her politely if she also saw the 石头花 and she says – sure! We all saw it, it’s very close by.

They offer to take me there, so I get into the limousine which moves almost silently. The mother and the sister (herself a teenager, maybe around 16) are very heavily made up and it is hard to discern their features. The boy sits sullenly in the corner. I look out the window and try to remember which way we are driving, but nothing is recognisable.

Outside the sky is grey and full of clouds. The airport seems to be in a rural area and within minutes we are among farmland. But there is something impalpably strange about the landscape – the hills are green, but are they really green? The animals look strange. The car feels odd as it moves so smoothly.

We take a turn down a side street and it looks like an ordinary domestic street in one of the Toronto fancy suburbs like Bayview. Every house is huge and has a basement. We pull up outside one large white house, which looks like every other one. The boy gets out of the car first, shouting 石头花! 石头花!

I look at the flowers planted along the front fence of the house and from afar it seems that some of the plants are sprouting smooth white pebbles. Incredulous, I walk closer and see that they are not pebbles after all, but rather the slim white petals packed very closely together seem to be fused together. How can that be? I wonder.

Selfie time! The sister calls out. Even the mother gets out of the car and the four of us gather in front of the white flowers.
Let’s take a selfie of the 6 of us. She says.

6? Who else is there? I wonder, and wake up.


---
PS. Lithops is the real name for 石头花, a stone-like succulent originating from South Africa which is very difficult to care for and has exquisite fine blooms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment