Sunday 17 December 2017

Dream: a balloon competition and black face painting


In this dream I’m getting ready for the trip to Timor. We are in the departure hall but it looks more like a large Asian train station than Darwin airport. There are lots of food stalls and I line up at one with a very long queue. It’s so long that I can’t see what is actually for sale.

As I get closer I see that it is a bakery with all sorts of bread. The loaves come in lots of different shapes but nothing is sliced. There are also no small things – no rolls, no pastries or pies… nothing that would be easy to take away. I ask the lady if she can slice a loaf and she solemnly shakes her head.

I take the large loaf of bread in a plastic bag and head to the departure gate. It looks like some sort of fun run – everyone is getting dressed up in vests with numbers and being organised into teams. I’m not sure where I belong but get swallowed up by a big group of people. Once I’ve put on my vest, they strap a harness on, which is then attached to a number of very long strings like a parachute. Someone brings over a giant balloon and it is attached meticulously to the strings.

I look around and it’s hard to discern who is doing all this intricate work, but in the blink of an eye, the balloon is inflated and I am floating high above the ground. It is only then I realise that the departure hall leads straight into a tunnel with a very high ceiling. I float into the tunnel, tugging on the strings to control my direction.

Soon I come to some paper flags which represent obstacles in the tunnel. I’m still trying to understand exactly what is happening – I’m partaking in a helium balloon race through a tunnel where I have to avoid paper flags? I feel confused but I duck under one set of paper flags and float above another set. A little further on, there is a more complex obstacle involving three sets of flags very close together. I manage to pass it without knocking the flags down, but my leg brushes against one of the flags.

There are a bunch of people ahead welcoming me to the ground. My leg tingles where it brushed against the flag and I struggle to get down. A crowd of people detach me from all the parachute/balloon stuff and I am guided against a wall. They congratulate me on being the winner, and I tell them I couldn’t have won since I touched one of the flags.

They ignore me and start mixing up paint in a palette. That’s it, the second phase is a face painting competition. I think to myself. A lady comes up to me and she has only black on her palette. She raises her brush and touches it to my ear. A cold wet slimy feeling enters my ear canal and I flinch away from her.

You must do this to complete the competition. She says to me.

I walk away from her and into the darkness of the tunnel. Not too far away from all the face painting, there is a table with a pile of LPs. I see my colleague from work there and greet him, but he doesn’t seem to remember me. I’m digging through the LPs, trying to calm myself down still from the insanity of the balloon race and someone trying to paint my ear black. I see an LP titled “Conservative violin music” and my father’s picture is on the front of the LP. I’m so astonished to see this that I want to take a photo to show my dad.

At that moment I turn around and see the lady with the black paint who has followed me.

You need your certificate of completion. She says sternly. And then I wake up.

No comments:

Post a Comment