Monday 11 December 2017

Four Sri Lanka dreams

Kung Fu Panda and the egg emoji

In this dream I'm using the maps app on my phone, and when I pressed the "localise" button it zoomed into Taiwan. I thought that was a little odd since I'm pretty far from Taiwan.. The little blue dot turned into a panda icon, and zoomed in until I could see it was actually Kung Fu panda. It started kicking something around, and it quickly went from country to country between cartoon characters.

There is a pause in the dream, and I find myself on a bus. It looks like a typical Sydney bus with the mosaic blue fabric covered seats. I'm on the bus with Tracey Ying who I haven't seen for so many years now. She's telling me about a trip she just did to Peru where they went around and ate all this amazing food. As I'm listening to her describe the food I felt this major sense of FOMO -  how wonderful would it be to go to Peru to eat! 

I ask her what her favourite place in Peru was, and she says, actually it was a Japanese Peruvian fusion place called Mabuki. The name sounds familiar but I struggle to remember the context. She starts to tell me about all the amazing fresh fish she ate at Mabuki, and my mind wanders. She says that it was great I could understand the love of fresh fish, as everyone other person she had told, had simply sent her an egg emoji.

I couldn't understand the link between Japanese food, Mabuki and the egg emoji. And anyway, in the dream I had reached my stop to get off the bus. The bus made a left turn and pulled up at the Rexalls on the corner of Queen & University - the Rexalls I used to go to all the time in Toronto. Tracey stood up with me and gave me a hug in the doorway of the bus. It was quite awkward, especially since after we let go we were both stuck in the doorway, unable to move.

Then I wake up.


Heartbroken stranger and the subway to the city

In this dream I am standing at an intersection. It looks quite busy with lots of cars coming and going, so probably in the middle of the city though I'm not sure which. A tall dark handsome stranger comes up to me and greets me in a friendly way to make me think that he knows me somehow. He doesn't introduce himself and I don't know who he is.

To be polite I ask him how he is after he asks me how I am. He bursts into tears and says that he just broke up with his partner two days prior and was in extreme pain. He is sobbing uncontrollably and I instinctively reach out to comfort him, though I do not even know who he is. He says he is working on some sort of app to numb the pain of breakups and I wonder - is that even possible? or advisable?

The awkward moment is broken by a small Japanese girl carrying a large backpack, who comes up to us to ask for instructions. She is looking for the train station to go to the city "to see things". I wonder what things she means. I look down the street and I see there are two entrances. I tell her that the one closer to us is the long distance train station, and that she wants the one further from us leading to the subway. She thanks us and walks towards the subway.

I look at the stranger again and wonder if he is one of the European critical care fellows, but then I know that he does not exist.

Then I wake up.


Maggots on the desk

Rarely do I have a dream that is so definitely localised in place. I am in the room I stayed in at the Rock view guesthouse in Ella, and the desk is exactly the one I had in the dream.

In the dream I am frantically clearing the desk of the things on it. Everything is crawling with maggots in various stages of development. The stench is awful and they seem to be reproducing in front of my eyes. MP the research nurse is helping me, mostly by encouraging me "don't look, just sweep it into the bin", "come on! you can do it!" 

There are lots of paper bags on the table and they are all crawling with maggots. I push them into the large plastic rubbish bag, holding my breath in the process. There is a piece of matcha cheesecake as well, which I also shove in.

Finally finished, MP staples the bag to a large cardboard box (like the ones used for moving) and I take it outside. As I'm walking away she calls out after me don't forget to bring the box back! We need it for more cleaning.

I walk to the bins along a muddy path dotted with stepping stones. I am pretty much covered in mud by the time I get there and dad is there - he says, be calm, grandma isn't with us anymore. 

Then I wake up.


Tree missing limbs and a wrongly authored book

In this dream I am so excited to see my friend B has published a book along with 3 other co-authors. It seems to be a book about current disasters in the world, each written as a short story of 3-4 pages. The book is printed in blue & white and I wonder why the colour scheme is that way.

I look up at that moment and see the most peculiar tree. It is huge with a thick trunk suggesting it is quite an old tree. The top of the tree seems to be normal with a dense canopy of leaves, but the bottom half of the branches is completely missing. It looks like someone has chopped off the limbs at the point where they join the trunk. The sight is most strange, and when I look closer I can see white flowers at the top of the tree.

What resilience. I think to myself.

At that moment Joz comes along with a bag of spicy nuts and offers me a hazelnut and a brazil nut - I take the brazil nut and she says Good choice! and walks away.

I get out my phone to take a photo of the weird tree, and I cannot make it focus. I look at the book again and now it seems as if the authors have completely changed - B is no longer one of them.

Then I wake up.

No comments:

Post a Comment