Wednesday 1 June 2022

In My Kitchen: June 2022

Wow where has May gone? It is just one week now until I fly to Paris, I will be there for two weeks before the big move to Toronto. It hasn't been a busy month in my kitchen since I've been furiously eating what is in my fridge / freezer / cupboard. However, I have been steadily visiting my bucket list places in Australia.. check out my adventures in Tasmania, Blue mountains and Newcastle

Let's take a look... 


I made these longevity peaches for my grandma's 100th birthday. In Chinese traditional culture, cakes are not commonly eaten since ovens are not popular there. The longevity peaches are often offered to seniors to signify longlife as it was part of a legend - these peaches are available in heaven and eaten to sustain longevity. 


Here I tried writing the Chinese character for longlife onto one of the peaches, but it started to run! I ended up piping it onto a piece of baking paper instead to lie flat in front of the peach display. The colour is made from pink food colouring brushed using a sieve onto the buns, which are a plain steamed bun dough. The leaves are mixed with green food colouring. I'd never made them before but I'm glad I went to the effort of making them - it was a wonderful celebration and she passed away just 22 days after her 100th birthday. 



I love swirly things - here I mixed a plain milk sourdough dough with a matcha dough, and swirled it with a red bean mixture. 


A couple of really handsome loaves from a weekly bake 


These were traditional pfitz-auf moulds that my music friend had brought over decades ago from South African (they are of German background). The batter is so simple- just flour, milk and eggs - but it really popped straight out! 
 

The last of my dad's chokoes were shared around - some of them were a very healthy size!

The curveball this month... 


I started doing jigsaws during covid - they are such a great diversion and I love the feeling of slotting pieces into place. This one was a birthday present I received last year, it was so colourful and bright that I felt like I couldn't get started on it until I was in the right mood. I'm glad I finished it in May just before the big move! 

I'm sending this to Sherry who hosts the monthly In My Kitchen series - see you all next month from Canada! 

12 comments:

  1. oh wow can't wait to see what canada is like for you. thanks for being part of IMK and hope to catch up (virtually) when you move. wow 100! how amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for hosting IMK and making it all possible Sherry! I always take so many photos of food and have no idea what to do with them, so this is a great outlet and also a way to remember what happens in my life..

      Delete
  2. Have a lovely time in Paris, and a safe move to your new home! I love the concept of the longevity peaches. Will you be taking your shourdough starter with you (dried of course!)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tandy in fact I did bring my sourdough with me and I didn't dry him, just fed him up and put him in a jar for the flight.. I haven't fed him yet so he might be a little angry with me, but let's see!!

      Delete
  3. That's a lovely way to honor your grandmother.

    I hope you have a great visit to Paris and a successful move to Canada. South of the border (the Canadian border, that is) we often think that they do things so much better -- gun control is much on our minds. Also Democracy. There were some issues with the way they treated the First Nations peoples, but they seem to be working on it.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Mae.. it's amazing thinking of how different the USA & Canada are!

      Delete
  4. Good luck with your move to Canada and I enjoyed reading about the longevity peaches and congrats to your grandma's 100 years! Your baking looks professional and delicious. I know so many people who found satisfaction in doing jigsaw puzzles during Covid. It is beautiful too. Enjoy Paris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Judee.. I'm already looking forward to the first jigsaw I'm going to do in Canada, it's such a soothing activity!

      Delete
  5. Good luck with your move! And enjoy Paris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marg! Love being part of the IMK community

      Delete
  6. I've never heard of longevity peaches and enjoyed reading the food history. Your bakiing is always insipring, you make such beautiful loaves of bread.
    Happy trip to Paris and your move to Canada. Hope you will continue to post once you settle in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina will post more about June's adventures next month!

      Delete