Wednesday 1 June 2022

The Australian Bucket List (3) - Newcastle region

The last four years of living in Newcastle have really been some of the best years of my life. Living close to my work has tremendously improved my quality of life - I don't have the same daily commute and parking stresses like when I lived in Sydney. The proximity to the coast and to other beautiful nature spots has been life changing. When I lived in Sydney, I would be less than 10km from the nearest beach, but in between navigating public transport or the troubles of finding parking, I would rarely go to the beach. The last few years, I've been lucky enough to live close enough that I am there most weeks, and in summer often many times a week. 

Here are some of my favourite spots in the Newcastle region. 

Newcastle 


Let's start with the best and most stunning view in all of Newcastle - the Strzelecki lookout on top of the hill overlooking Bar/Merewether beach. On a clear day in winter, one can usually spot whales passing by here. 


Bar beach - Can you believe this was my local beach for the last 4 years? 

Blackbutt reserve is one of the first places I visited when I moved to Newcastle. It's literally across the road from the hospital where I work - there are some really nice walking trails in the reserve weaving amongst the tall gums. 


Dudley beach is also one of my favourites - it's quieter than the "main" beaches and there is a long beach to walk along. 


The view from the top of the cliffs in Dudley is pretty amazing - one can see all the way across Dudley to Merewether to Newcastle beach. 


I will miss these little lantana flowers found all over the Australian bush. 


Majestic gum trees in the Awakabal nature reserve, along the walk from Dudley to Redhead


Redhead lagoon, a peaceful spot to sit and read


I love Caves beach - on the surface it looks like an ordinary beach but at the southern end is a set of ocean caves that one can access only at low tide. Unfortunately it's been "discovered" by the Internet/Youtubers or whatever, and it seems more and more popular. 


From the caves 

Myall National Park 


There are some pretty amazing sand dune systems near Newcastle. I think the one near Stockton going up to Anna Bay / Port Stephens is very famous and lots of people visit the 32km stretch sand dune which is supposed to be the biggest in the Southern Hemisphere. Here I was visiting the dunes at Dark Point, a totally deserted spot in the Myall NP. 


You could completely get lost in these dunes


What a glorious day it was to be amongst the amazing fine sand. I didn't see a single soul. 


The waters of Myall NP are really amazing - there is something very gentle about the lake system, that is different to the sea that is very nearby. I love how the waves lap at the shore, creating an unique tinkering sound. 


Amazing melaleuca - paperbark gum trees along the lake system 


There are also patches of rainforest in Myall NP - such a strange landscape with these giant gum trees scattered amongst rainforest. 


Last but not least, my favourite beach in the region is actually Jimmy's / Bennett's. In the Hawks Nest area, there is an amazing ocean beach (Bennett's) which has the nicest finest sand and goes on forever, and is usually very quiet. Around the corner there is a sheltered beach (Jimmy's) where the swimming is just the best in summer. I made a little pilgrimage to Jimmy's, one of my favourite places in the universe. 

2 comments:

  1. what a shame i didn't know you were there. a catch up coffee would have been great last week! We adored the tiny bit of newcastle that we saw and intend to go back someday to check it out. hopefully when the gallery opens again. enjoy toronto!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That view from the caves is amazing. Like being in another world. And there's something about dunes by the sea. Here in Michigan we have the Sleeping Bear Dunes by Lake Michigan and it's one of my favorite places.

    ReplyDelete