Saturday 8 April 2017

Dream: painting a green facade

This is a strange, placeless dream. It is raining and I am walking in a city. It feels busy enough to be a city, but not so big - the streets are still somewhat narrow. I wonder for a moment if it is Springwood - but the shops don't look like that of the Springwood main strip. In the next moment I wonder if it is Bendigo - but I haven't been there, so how will I tell if it really is Bendigo?

I am walking the streets seemingly alone, but soon I become aware of a girl who is walking just slightly behind me. I have an umbrella but she doesn't seem to have any rain gear, so she stands in the lightly falling rain, gently getting wet. I look down and our shoes are very similar - standard black loafers, almost like school shoes. The edges of our shoes are wet and this makes quite an impression on me.

We turn the corner, the girl following me silently. I look across the road and construction is taking place around what looked like the facade of a church. The girl comes up to me and softly says - that was the train station. I struggle to make out any features of the train station, but I wonder again if this is Bendigo, whether the train station is supposed to be my way home.

We walk along further, now next to each other. The girl stops in front of an unremarkable door, and we enter the house. Inside, there are three floors. The walls are a very strange shade of green, a light mint colour that is reminiscent of an avocado shake. I don't think I have ever seen a wall painted that colour before. The railings are all very old and look like they would collapse under any weight. I look up and there is a man on the first floor, making an oil painting on an easel. He is painting the inside of the building, the three levels clearly represented in the painting. In the painting is also another easel, which does not exist in the correct position in real life (and there is no man making an oil painting).

He is far away enough that I have to squint to make out what is on the easel. It is a bible, no mistake, and there is a black cat resting on top of the open bible.

Then I wake up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment