Saturday 15 April 2017

Dream: sidewalk serpentines and slushy Ribena

In this dream I had pulled up my car in some suburbs that vaguely looks like the Rocks. I parked around the back streets and locked the car, an anonymous ?car rental that was entirely forgettable. I walked towards the main street and found a small alleyway that emerged onto the cobblestone pedestrian area.

The first thing I notice is that everyone is walking in the middle of the street. This is strange because the shops line both sides of the road, but no one is anywhere near them. People huddle in defensive posture, stepping cautiously as if there were puddles on the ground. I look down and see rivets of dark - and the dark is moving?

When I look closer it looks like a black starfish with very long limbs. I bend down to look and one limb strikes up suddenly and the mouth opens, lashing out to get me. I pull back suddenly and avoid it just in time, my heart pounding. Suddenly I realise the serpentine starfish are everywhere and no one can avoid them, hence the rushing along in the middle of the street. J comes along and takes my elbow, her company so welcome now that my heart is racing. She whispers we must follow the crowd and try not to be bitten.

The sky looks increasingly dark and heavy as we come out to an open area not part of the real Rocks. There is a bridge to our right and we go towards the bridge. I can see two evil starfish in the way, and we try to avoid them. This is a dream! I say to myself as we cross them. J is wearing a bright pink blazer, which I somehow think will deter them. This is a dream! I say again as we get onto the bridge.

The scene cuts to a living room. No one else is around and I see a range of drinks with a number of glasses on a side table. I suddenly feel very thirsty so I check out the drinks. When I pour the Ribena into an empty glass, it seems to congeal. I taste it - orange juice? I read the label and check the colour inside the bottle - purple? I drink the rest of the orange juice slushie which is not entirely unpleasant, and pour out some more Ribena, but it's still orange and slushie once it hits the glass.

Then I wake up.

(Context for this dream: first night on call ever as staff, minimal sleep)

No comments:

Post a Comment