Sunday 5 November 2017

Dream: lost in the tunnel

The dream starts with the utterly heavy knowledge that Emily is dead. I don't know how I know this, or how it came about, but I know it is true. It is the only thing on my mind for most of the dream.

I am in an underground tunnel. Isn't it funny how tunnels remove all evidence of the outside - one has no idea what season it is, the time of day, the weather, or even where one is. I am walking around in this tunnel without any direction, but with this vague sense that I need to be somewhere.

I am carrying a cello which I don't recognise. It has no case and no bow, I'm just holding it by its neck. In fact, I don't even know if it is a real cello, or maybe it's just something that looks like a cello. I am wearing my dark red coat, and I become aware of the fact that I am wearing nothing underneath.

I feel momentarily confused - am I on my way to the funeral? or to rehearsal? either occasion would feel awkward for me showing up like that.

I walk around several corners and am unable to find any clue to the direction I'm going in. I see some type of poster in the distance, which turns out to be a 3D map. It is no help though, as I don't know the name of what I am looking for. An exit, I think to myself, there must be an exit somewhere.

The signs are sometimes in English, and sometimes in Chinese. Other languages feature too, and it's not clear exactly which country I might be in. I see a L'Occitane store and go inside to ask the staff where the exit might be, but I can not understand whatever language they may be speaking in.

In one of the side branches of the tunnels, I find a stairwell. I go up the stairs and try the doors at each level, but they are all locked and I cannot get out. After a few flights up, I start to worry that I won't be able to get out where I came into the tunnel. At that moment, the door opens and I am in a hospital meeting room.

Gareth is standing at the head of the table, and some type of meeting is in progress. He is talking about capturing certain people as they come into the hospital. I start to sweat and feel like he might be talking about me. Still holding the cello, I back away slowly. I bump into the door, or where the door was, except now it has completely smoothed over and I cannot see where the exit is.

Right, I need to get to this funeral. I think to myself. Then I wake up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment